Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV Freezes on Ad Playback

Jump to solution

I'm seeing the problem on the Roku 3 (4200X) running version 9.3.

The whole uninstall the app and reinstall did NOT work (it never does).  

Level 8

Jump to solution

Using VOD on YouTubeTV for the first time and lo and behold, I just ran einto this issue. Roku system 4230x. Ad plays then gets stuck on black on an AMC VOD show. Tried the multiple trouble shooting ideas on this thread to no avail. Seems like this is a significant bug that needs to be squashed by Roku developers. Side note: just tested YouTubeTV app on my iPhone and no issues. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

It used to happen just periodically and I'd just walk away and try again a few days later and it'd work.  But now it's happening on literally every commercial break on every VOD show I try to watch.  On non-Roku devices it works just fine.  Time to ditch either Roku or YouTube TV.

Level 8

Jump to solution

Will be junking our Roku TV. Months of this issue and 23 pages of complaints from all thse consumers, and no fix or response? This is unacceptable customer service. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Solution did not work for us. Roku TV. Model 5121X, software build 9.3.0, 4175-08

Level 12

Jump to solution

@Sdnoir wrote:

Will be junking our Roku TV. Months of this issue and 23 pages of complaints from all thse consumers, and no fix or response? This is unacceptable customer service. 

Please note there are many happy users of YouTube with Roku including myself.  Instead of complaining post a link.  I did not see anyone post one single link to a video that exhibits the problem.  Is is EXTREMELY likely a subset of YouTube videos is causing the issues you see on a subset of Roku model and/or Roku OS versions.  For example it could be something unique with the video formats or device used to create the original video that is causing the issue you are seeing.

Video technology is not simple with millions of devices and millions of unique video details.

Think about it like this:

When you go to the doctor do you say doc fix me! You don't need to know about my symptoms or how long I am sick.   Just fix me now!

No you don't you must give a doctor lots of details like symptoms, other medications  etc...

Asking about a video that will not play on YouTube requires similar details like what you see , what device model, what software versions, what compression codecs, DRM requirements/restrictions and especially exactly what video ....etc..

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don’t think you’ve been reading through this thread. The problem relates to YouTubeTV VOD functionality on Roku. Not random YouTube videos playing on Roku.

The correct method for complaining is exactly what’s been done on this thread.  We indicate the model and version of our device, and as much info about the problem, which VOD channel, when the problem occurs, etc  

Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes, I was going to post the same thing. thetick you really need to read through all the previous posts before expressing your thoughts. Maybe next time?

Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't appreciate the snarky, condescending responses from the Roku community "complaint police". Not helpful. This thread is about YTTV, rather than regular YT. It's in the thread's title; hence why I landed here in the first place.

I posted my device info in direct response to the original moderator's (mislabeled) "solved" response on page 1. After ads finish playing, during whatever YouTube TV show, the screen goes black. 

For a half-a-billion dollar corporation specializing in smart TVs, this really should not be an extraordinarily complex issue to solve. Why hasn't Roku done some troubleshooting itself, at this point, and fixed this in an update already? How many more people need to complain? If Roku doesn't like complaints on its message boards, solve the problem, so customers would have nothing to complain about. Better yet, respond with humility, rather than ill-advised comments.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Since this issue has been incorrectly labeled as solved, I've started a new thread for Roku to ignore.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YouTube-TV-Freezes-after-VOD-Ad-playback/m-p/...

I would encourage others with this same problem to post their model numbers there.

0 Kudos