Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

YouTube TV Freezes on Ad Playback

Jump to solution

When I watch a VOD episode on YouTube TV, the show contains ads that I cannot fast forward... usually 6-7 of them. Over half the time, the stream freezes at a black screen when the last ad finishes. The only way I have found to correct the problem is to reboot the app and restart the show where I left off. However, when the next commercial breaks comes, I will probably end up in the same freeze-reboot loop again.  Any thoughts?

I like YouTube TV better than Hulu, but might have to switch back if this doesn’t get figured out. YouTube TV is the only app with this problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: YouTube TV Freezes on Ad Playback

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you haven't already, try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. This should resolve the issue now, but please us posted if you are still experiencing the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
297 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue, we have just started using YouTubeTV and it has happened several times in the last 2 weeks.

Device: Roku Ultra

Purchase Date: 11/12/2019

Software updated to latest version from the system menu

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Very same problem except freezes mid ad on VOD mostly CBS shows. My older Roku is fine, but the newer Express+ constantly freezes up. Would love to hear from Roku on this thread.

-Kal

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I'm also experiencing this. It makes VOD playback almost impossible. I've contacted them for help, but it was pretty much worthless (reinstall the app, restart, etc.). After nothing helped, I was told my problem was "relayed to the team". I really hope this gets resolved. YTTV seems like the best of the streamers, but this is a huge problem.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Quick update. I took my Express + and exchanged it for a Roku Premium 4K and haven't had a problem so far. And our Roku 2 has no issues. It just may be certain models.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Me too! Roku Express set at 720. Twenty minutes trying to watch Survivor from last week. Two rounds of ads, freezes midway through ad 4 of 5, etc.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also having the same problem! We have tested this when using an iPad and the YouTube app, but it works fine. Roku - fix this!!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ditto.  Express being used.  Freezes during ads.  Won't forIf ward thru ads.  Tried not forwarding, it still eventually freezes.  If no response fro  "ROKU"  I will return it an shop for some other soon, repeat soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after Ad Playback on Roku 3

Jump to solution

I have Roku 3 and I am getting exact same problem as everyone else. It freezes after first batch of ads on VOD. My Roku makes me watch another round of ads and stops again. This is ridiculous.

Surely a tech person could respond and give us a clue?

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after Ad Playback on Roku 3

Jump to solution

Having the same issue on my Roku. YouTube TV Freezes on Ads when watching On Demand. It doesn't happen on my YouTube TV App on my phone. Only on Roku. So I, too, am convinced it's a Roku issue.