Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube TV Freezes after VOD Ad playback

Technically this has been posted before, but it's VERY obvious the "Accepted Solution" doesn't work for the vast majority of the people posting in that thread, and frustration is running high for many.  

We seem to have narrowed the problem to a combination of three factors.  Roku, YouTube TV app, and VOD.  If you're watching a VOD on the Roku YouTube TV app, when it breaks to the commercials (that you can't skip), when it finishes, it'll just sit on a black screen and never resume playing the show that's being streamed.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn't work (despite being the "Accepted Solution").  Restarting our Roku doesn't work.  It seems to happen across multiple Roku models.  

At this point I'm pretty sick of it. It's a common problem with lots of people that has been happening for awhile.  Personally I'm to the point of either ditching Roku (which others have done - apparently FireStick works fine) or ditching YouTube TV (which a few have suggested).

17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube TV Freezes after VOD Ad playback

Thank you for setting this new thread up.  I'm running into the same problem with my Roku 3, system 4230x.   When I watch a VOD show (last night it was AMC), and I hit an ad break, it tries loading but goes black and freezes that way.  Tried closing out of YouTube TV and returning to the show only gives me the same ad followed by the same frozen black screen.

Tried the uninstall troubleshoot which did not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Excellent work, @kecker. Yes, please add your TV specs here, and your voice, to the growing list of claims regarding Roku's mishandling of this technical issue with their products. Let's see how quickly this thread can reach 23 pages, like the other thread did. The clock is ticking, Roku, before we all vote with our feet. We will spread the word.

My specs: Roku TV, Model 5121X, software build 9.3.0, 4175-08

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Two Roku TVs and two Roku 3 (4200X).

Software version 9.3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I own several streaming sticks 3600R and have had this problem since I started my youtube account in....February. They work great on everything else. On one unit I replaced my roku with an older model firestick to access youtube. It works fine. Obviously I would rather have uniformity across all my televisions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am new to YoutubeTv , as in just 2 weeks. I have 2 TCL TVs with Roku already installed. The app was working great for playback purposes until this week. After the ads would play, straight to a black screen. I found myself switching back and forth to different VOD shows and sometimes I would be able to get a little further in the show but always when the next round of ads would be over, back to black screen again. One Tv in the living room which is 3 years old seems to be having the most problems. My other TCL is 2 years old and I am able to watch VOD with no issues so far...I have deleted the channel, reset my WiFi router, reset the tv and then installed again to no avail. I am wondering if getting a fire stick would fix this? I was really enjoying YoutubeTv , but at this rate I don’t want to be stuck in my room watching VOD....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's getting worse. Happens on all VOD I have watched. 

Streaming stick 3600x (x2) 

Vizio and Samsung tvs

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I purchased a firestick for the tv that I watch the most. No issues at all.

Highlighted
Level 8

I have two Roku 3 and a Sharp Roku TV and they all have the VOD freezing issue.  This has been reported as an issue since 2018.  If there is no fix by now, then they most likely are never going to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Here is what I just posted to my 500 followers. Please feel free to copy and paste to your own social circles:

Certain #Roku devices do not play well with YouTube TV or VOD. This includes, especially, Roku TVs. Issues have been reported widely over the past eight months or longer, and Roku has failed to address its customers with any meaningful solution. Avoid.