Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

YouTube Network Error

Yes I can confirm that this will give me the error - Youtube is unavailable. Please try again later.

Cant find any way to produce the Network error that I have been constantly getting on my Roku Ultra. 

Roku blames YT

YT blames Roku

And we are all left with the frustration.

24 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube Network Error

Yes confirmed I see the error following the steps you outlined. Tried same steps on Tivo with YouTube app never fails and logged onto same YouTube acct on both. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Is there some reason why Roku cannot recreate the issue and get YouTube to fix their app? I've had this issue now for 6+ months and seems like this might be a good time to do an email campaign to the CEO of Roku to motivate his team to solve the problem.

Highlighted
Level 9

Yes, email or perhaps social media, since it is public for everyone else to see.

ROKU's Twitter support account is @ROKUSupport and I'm sure they have a Facebook page too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Sent the following email to the CEO of Roku.

Hi,

This YouTube Network Error has been occurring on my Roku Ultra since I purchased in Nov 2019.  While users have figured out how to reproduce the error Roku and YouTube blame each other and we still do not have a fix.

Is there any chance you can allocate resources to figure out who is responsible and get this fixed?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YouTube-Network-Error/td-p/514937

Regards,

How to Reproduce The Network Error

1. Launch the YouTube app. Log into a Google account. Press the left arrow button to access the side menu.

2. Press the down arrow button and scroll down to Subscriptions. Immediately press the right arrow button to the first entry which is "All.". Immediately press and hold the down button to scroll down to the bottom of the Suscriptions list. Immediately press and hold the up button to scroll back to the top of the list. The "All" selection should again be highlighted.

3. Do nothing. The error appears in 25-30 seconds.

Highlighted
Level 7

I’m just happy I’m not the only one that’s having this issue. I constantly get this error on Roku Premier wireless, Roku 3 wired, Roku 4 wired, Roku Ultra Wired, Roku Mobile wireless and a Roku Travel Stick wireless. I have 1gb fiber internet and rarely  have Playback issues with anything other than the YouTube app on all Roku devices. 

Highlighted
Level 10

I'm still getting the error, but for the past week I've had videos freeze around 30 seconds in, stay frozen for another 30 seconds or so, then the spinning wheel appears for about another 15 seconds and the video starts again. I doubt it's a network problem since it occurs on multiple videos at the same time the error occurs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Definitely sounds like a slow Network problem to me.

You might try switching to Googles DNS server 8.8.8.8 and or 8.8.4.4

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

That's what I thought too, but there's a different message (meaning different from the topic of this thread) that pops up at the bottom of the screen asking if you want to exit and check the connection when there's network problems and it's not popping up, I rebooted the router a few times to make sure that message still appears and it does when the routers rebooted, but it doesn't when the video freezes. I'm on a 300 down plan, use cloudflare dns and haven't seen network problems anywhere else, just this on YouTube/Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@boogernose Definately not a slow network issue.  My Rokus connect to the internet via a private 802.11 AC connection. Internet service is a solid Frontier FIOS 100/100 fiber connection and I am using Level 3 Communications DNS servers (4.2.2.1, etc.). Using the "Stats for Nerds" feature, YouTube shows my internet speed is consistantly above 30,000 Kbps. Issue is more likely a programming/resource issue when doing too many things too soon in the Subscription screen.

0 Kudos