Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube Network Error

Jump to solution

I have reset, refreshed, re-installed and repurchased a 4K Stick and an Ultra to no avail. Wireless or Wired, ISP DNS or Google DNS same network error. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

In my experience at least, this problem seems to wax and wane in severity. But, since October or so, it has never gone away.

At this point I can only assume Roku will never fix this. YouTube, for better or worse is the most important channel for my family's usage. So I need to get some other streaming device besides Roku and use that as our A and the Roku as our B device.

Can anyone recommend another product, something like the Roku, but that can handle YouTube correctly? I don't think the Chrome streaming stick would work for us because as I understand it it requires a phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I have tried desperately to get this problem to recur/occur on my Ultra

without success and to no avail. I watch Youtube a lot.

I think it probably is just that a network problem.

This would suggest its the quality of your provider.

I do hope youre using a router.

I'd be embarrassed to tell you who my "provider" is but it is second to none.

"Bundled" type net connections are not the best.......

Such providers are known to throttle bandwidth.

For reasons I think are obvious.....competition.

I feel your frustration....good luck

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@siphon wrote:

"Can anyone recommend another product, something like the Roku, but that can handle YouTube correctly? I don't think the Chrome streaming stick would work for us because as I understand it it requires a phone."

Having the same issue on both of our roku sticks. I'd say about 50% of videos selected don't play. We do have two smart Tvs....a Samsung and LG. Both play youtube just fine.

It's just WRONG that roku and youtube don't work together to fix this problem. This issue has been ongoing for many months.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi Boogernose,

I appreciate the feedback, but I doubt you're correct on this.

I'm glad your Ultra handles YT fine-- you're lucky.

I don't doubt that this occurs for some users and not others. Maybe it's even more likely on some providers than others.  It does appear to affect many Roku devices, recent and older, cheaper and more expensive, and as far as I can tell a variety of internet providers.

In my specific case, my internet provider is an outstanding one, my internet connection is fiber optic, and I have no network errors or issues on any other sites, devices, or other Roku channels.

The general pattern, to sum it up from what I've seen on this and other threads, is this:

1) Someone has a Roku, and it used to work great, including on YouTube.

2) Sometime last Fall, YouTube started conking out repeatedly with this "network error".  I don't know if anyone's traced it to a specific update, though that seems likely based on the fairly consistent timeline.

3) No other channels have problems. Everything else on Roku operates fine.

4) The same users sometimes have other devices, like LG / Samsung / other Smart TV's, and they all handle YouTube fine, even though Roku no longer does.

5) This isn't happening for everyone.  Even for people who have the issue, it seems to come and go in severity.

Roku apparently has for a long time said it's YouTube's fault, and YouTube has apparently for a long time said it's Roku's fault.  I would guess that the transient and not-everyone-has-it nature of the problem makes it hard to debug or fix. I haven't attempted to contact Roku support, or YouTube/Google support (ha! does that even exist?) but people who have, have provided this general picture.

Apparently something similar bhappened with the YT channel years ago.  And with the Spotify channel more recently.  The time course of it getting fixed was very similar in both case, by which I mean it never was until long after everyone had given up.

Anyway, I'm happy for you that it's not happening, but it is happening here for me (with two different Rokus) on a great, non-bundled internet provider (and of course a router).

If I had time to spare (I don't), I'd do some tests.  Maybe I could cart one to the office and see if it happens on their connection-- testing whether the issue appears device specific or provider specific.  Also interesting might be to survey everyone who has the problem to see if it tends to be an issue with certain internet providers and not others (which doesn't seem likely based on what I've heard, but is possible.)

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Fair enough.

I'm not trying to gloat.

But I can tell you I dont experience 95% of the problems people post about.

I'd rather no one had any problems.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I solved my YouTube problem by doing what someone suggested (by the way this is for YouTube not YouTube TV). I installed the YouTube app even though I never plan to use it. Then I removed the YouTube app and powered down. I then installed the YouTube app and powered down. Then, I tried the regular YouTube app and it prompted me for my gmail password etc.. It then worked. I was pretty frustrated and I don't find this community board easy to find answers and others posts.

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I think you meant you installed the YoutubeTV app even though you dont plan on using it.

Why not just leave it there? I have many Channels I dont watch hardly.

Youre right I should have mentioned that worked for some people

and maybe that isnt easy enough to find. Maybe it would work for him and everyone else.

this seems like a bug that needs fixing and in time will.

But why not just install both and use the one.

Thats what Im going to suggest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I HAVE UNINSTALLED , REINSTALLED, UPDATED EVERYTHING.....NOTHING WORKS....STILL GETTING NETWORK ERROR FOR PAST 3 MONTHS...WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT APP/CHANNELS;

YOUTUBE AND ALSO YOUTUBETV.

INSTALL THEM BOTH SEPARATELY.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CAPS KEY IS?

0 Kudos