Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: YouTube Network Error

Jump to solution

Today's ROKU system update gave me brief hope.   But no.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I had the same problem.  Roku kept telling me it wasn't their problem.  YouTube responded that their engineers had traced the problem to Roku.  I tried on several occasions talking with Roku agent and got no help and I continue to have this problem today.  They just don't care.  They just want you to buy their devices with no support or corrective action.  I believe YouTube over Ruku because the Roku agent refused to escalate the problem to their engineers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I hadn't heard that before, that there was a finger-pointing war between the two sides. Maybe there is some sense in which both sides are correct as is sometimes the case. Like, side A insists on using the new version of some protocol, and side B hasn't implemented that protocol correctly and says everything would be fine if side A simply went back to the old version.

I wonder if it's possible to tell one's Roku to go back to a prior update version of a specific channel. Maybe the channel would work if one were able to roll back to whatever software version of the channel was there before this problem started happening. Are tests like that possible on a Roku via some kind of advanced menu or command line access? Of course, it's possible that the issue is coming from some issue orthogonal to channel version and that backdating the channel software wouldn't help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This has happened before with Spotify on Roku. Neither side would do a thing, then the app became all but unuseable until a considerable time later it was updated. It's still not great unless you use a phone to control it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have been getting this same error on Roku Ultra 2019 that I installed October 2019.  Error happened again today. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've had this error for months on my Roku ultra. I run a diverse set of platforms including Android TV Apple TV and fire TV. Roku is the only one where YouTube consistently has this issue.

The fact that they are passing the buck when it's their platform that has the problem makes me question whether I should further invest in Roku products. 

I spend a lot of time watching YouTube. It is a streaming staple in my household. The fact that it fails every single day with the same error is disheartening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

YouTube App Crashing on Roku Devices - fault might be with YouTube App after all

Jump to solution

I was able to fix & re-create this problem.

I have 20 YouTube playlists

I created 10 more using my PC 

YouTube App crashed on my Roku Device.

I deleted the 10 extra playlists I created

YouTube App was OK on my Roku

What I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that anyone having this problem report it to the link below. The more people do the more likely YouTube would make it a priority to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/tv/feedback

YouTube_Crash.jpg

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTube App Crashing on Roku Devices - fault might be with YouTube App after all

Jump to solution

Seems to me like BOTH Teams - ROKU & YouTube - should be looking at their code to see where the error-string text is originating, and what condition(s) can cause it to be emitted.

Until proven otherwise I blame Google/YouTube because it's more likely G/YT coder(s) did a bad Copy & Paste out of some Apple or Play Station app and put it into the YouTube channel code built for ROKU.

ATTENTION YOUTUBE/GOOGLE: I would never consider signing up for YouTubeTV until the YouTube Channel on ROKU issue has been fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: YouTube App Crashing on Roku Devices - fault might be with YouTube App after all

Jump to solution

I think you are right, the problem seems to be with the YouTube App for the Roku.

Although I would not hold it against 'YouTube TV'.

YouTube TV is so much better then cable TV, and so much cheaper also with Unlimited DVR Storage! and it never crashed on us yet. And we have had it for 8 months! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I've only had the YouTube problem on one video the past few weeks, so maybe they're working on it, the interface for YouTube tv can be a bit laggy sometimes, but i haven't noticed any other problems with it (although i don't watch that much).

0 Kudos