Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TinfoilCat
Level 7

Re: YouTube Network Error

Jump to solution

My Ultra is a few months old. And a stick maybe 2 yrs old. I have not experienced the crash directly related to the grey stills. but i think this may point to the app's ability to process information. With a lot of playlists, or with a lot of subs, is this too much information for the system to process?

I do not have any play lists on my YT account but I have a lot of subscriptions that I scroll through. The error mostly occurs when I am watching a video. Sometimes when I am scrolling through the subs. A long video or short doesnt matter. Wired or wireless doesnt matter. My connection download speeds appear not to matter - although I am not an IT expert. I hope my notes help the group. I appreciate everyone's efforts and input. @siphon @NDinVA 

0 Kudos
siphon
Level 9

Jump to solution

@NDinVAI've got a 4670X (bought from Roku on the Black Friday sale.)

0 Kudos
NDinVA
Level 9

Jump to solution

@TinfoilCat what model Ultra do you have? It's labeled on the bottom.

If you have time, scroll through your subscription lists a few times and just pause on one without selecting a video to play. See if the error message pops up in 1-2 minutes.

0 Kudos
NDinVA
Level 9

Jump to solution

@siphon According to these hardware specs  our Ultras are about the same except for memory. Your 4670X has 2 GB while my 4660X has 1 GB. Just guessing here, but the lesser memory in mine may cause the error to be more reproducible.

0 Kudos
TinfoilCat
Level 7

Jump to solution

@NDinVA Ultra is a 4670x. I ran your test a few times, scrolling through my subs and then pausing. It would take about 20-30 seconds to get the error. This is without selecting any video to play

0 Kudos
siphon
Level 9

Jump to solution

@TinfoilCat @NDinVA Hey, that's interesting. I also have a 4670x (like @TinfoilCat ).  But I wasn't able to trigger the error this way. But, I hadn't been waiting that long (20-30 sec).  I'd assumed that if I wasn't seeing the grey thumbnails, I wouldn't be getting the error. When you're triggering the error this way, are you seeing grey thumbnails the whole time? Or are the thumbnail images all showing up, but the error is happening anyway?

It's weird to really want to trigger this error.  But if there is an easily & quickly reproducible way of triggering it, the Roku / YT devs would probably find it a lot easier to track down the underlying problem. (Not that this necessarily means they'd prioritize doing so, but it would make for a much better case than an intermittent and difficult to trigger error.)

0 Kudos
NDinVA
Level 9

Jump to solution

@TinfoilCat Excellent, thanks for recreating it. Nice to know it happens on your model as well.

0 Kudos
CaliDude
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi all.  First time posting here to voluntier my info.  I have an older 4K Roku Ultra (4640x) connected to an LG 4K TV.  The Roku is connected wirelessly to a Netgear router via 802.11AC, which is connected to my Frontier FIOS 100/100 fiber internet service (which I've have no issues with).  Ialways use the YouTube app logged into my Google account, and stream almost all day without issue to entertian two toddlers.  I've been running into this annoying issue for several years now.  It normally occurs ONLY when going into my Subscriptions (I only have about 10), however it also happens if I use search to replay the last video I was watching when it happens.  This issue occurs frequently with the DFBGuide and DSNY Newscast channels, but not with the other channels.  I've tried uninstalling/restarting/reinstalling the YT app and clearing my search/viewing history to no effect.  This morning, I went into the DFBGuide subscription and simply scrolled through the first 9-12 videos.  I did NOT play any video, but after about 30 seconds, I got the error.  Normally the error appears after 30 seconds into a video, but perhaps it is the Subscription section running in the background that is the cause of the issue.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
NDinVA
Level 9

Jump to solution

@siphonLet me know if this works for you.

@CaliDude If you want, see if these steps cause the error for your ROKU

Here are more detailed steps that 100% reproduce this error for me:

1. Launch the YouTube app, left arrow to display the side menu, scroll down to Subscriptions. Right arrow to the first entry which is "All."

2. Quickly scroll down and back up the list not allowing the gray thumbnails to load. You will end up at the top of the list.

3. Slowly scroll back down the list but allow the thumbnails to fill in for each sub before moving down to the next. You'll be at the bottom of the list when complete.

4. Wait at the last position without selecting a video to play. The error takes 10-60 seconds to show up. Sometimes the error happens before making it all the way down the list.

Cheers

CaliDude
Level 8

Jump to solution

@NDinVA 

I can confirm that your steps reproduced the error multiple times on 2 different 4K Roku Ultra (4640x) units I have.  Further, I found that scrolling continuously down for x number of seconds and then scrolling continuously back up to the top produced consistant errors.  Below are the results of multiple rounds of testing on both of my units:

00:45 seconds scrolling down - scrolling back to the top - error appears at 01:52

00:40 seconds scrolling down - scrolling back to the top - error appears at 02:11

00:35 seconds scrolling down - scrolling back to the top - error appears at 02:18

Additional findings:

1. Step 3 wasn't necessary.  Scrolling back to the top and then doing nothing still produced the error.

2. Didn't matter what I did before going into the Subscription section.  However, lounging around in the Subscription section before scrolling down/up resulted in no error message.

3. Scrolling down less than 35 seconds produced inconsistant or no error message.

4. Scrolling down ONLY produced no error message.  I had to scroll back to the top to get error.

As I scrolled down, my thumbnails populated quickly.  Both of my Roku's would sometimes allow 4-6 grey thumbnails, but then "catchup" and populate them as I scrolled down.  As I scrolled up, there weren't any grey thumbnails, all were populated.  Hope this helps.