Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grobl

Why is YouTube Kids not available on Roku?

Jump to solution

Every other mainstream streaming device now has YouTube Kids.  Why is it not yet on Roku? 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube Kids

Jump to solution
Ask Google. They are responsible for development of the channel
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert

View solution in original post

fluke
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
YouTube's Terms of Service does not allow any other developer to create a YouTube based channel for Roku other than YouTube themselves.

There have been third-party YouTube clients for the Roku in the past and Google/YouTube has demanded that the third-party channel be removed.

Also, the concept of YouTube Kids is not part of the YouTube API.  There an API search option to restrict it to "safesearch" mode but that is not really the same.  YouTube has no intention of helping third-parties create alternative YouTube Kids applications.

If you are willing to live with the limitation just having a "safe-search," you should be able to do that in the existing YouTube channel for Roku by going to Settings (the gear in the lower-left) and then choosing Restricted Mode.

That all having been said, I find the following statement really alarming:
"However my kids love kids YouTube, my wife and I love it because we feel peace of mind that they will only have kids content."

That is not my understanding of what YouTube Kids actually is.  Several of the videos seem to be added to the Kids app using an automated system.  If a cartoon looking video includes instructions on how to commit suicide in the middle then YouTube Kids will be "quick" to act on it being reported for abuse.  However, a reactionary system is not the same as having *only* kids content.

For more information, read carefully what YouTube Kids has to say themselves about the level of safety at:
https://www.youtube.com/kids/safer-experience/

Notice that they themselves indicate the following:
"But not all videos have been manually reviewed. If you find something inappropriate that we missed, you can flag it for fast review. This makes the app better for everyone."

WHAT?!  *IF*?  How inappropriate can something be and still get missed?!

The YouTube Kids reactionary after the fact method is not nearly the same as something like HBO Go or HBO Now's Kids section of manually curated content.

Roku's Kids & Family section of the Roku streaming channel store also have other apps that I feel are better curated content that YouTube Kids automated filter such as PBS Kids.  There is no *IF* you find something then flag it that is part of the PBS Kids system of doing things.

If having delicate minds view videos on a iPad using YouTube Kids were the video was selected through a flawed automated filter has worked well for you so far, I'm happy for you.  I personally don't play Russian roulette regardless of if the gun has 6 chambers or 100 chambers.  YouTube Kids doesn't promise the accuracy of their filter is completely 100%.  They just claim they work to keep the amount of content that sneaks through to be a low percentage.  To me, that low percentage is still a bullet in a gun with a lot of chambers.  I would personally get as much peace of mind from YouTube Kids as I would get from watching The Deer Hunter (a movie I also would not recommend for kids).

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: how to adding kids YT youtube

Jump to solution

Roku just provides the platform on which the channel apps written for Roku run.  The channels themselves create their channel apps, provide them to Roku, and maintain them.

Google, who owns YouTube, has not created a version of their YouTube Kids app to run on Roku that I can find.  If you'd like to have a YouTube Kids channel app for Roku, let YouTube know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

41 REPLIES 41
JHY
Visitor

Question: Block suggestions and adding YouTube Kids

Jump to solution
Hi,
I'm interested in setting up a Roku for my son to provide kid appropriate/educational programs.  I noticed that we will occasionally get program suggestions (to the right of the channel tiles) that are inappropriate for a 3 year old.  How can I block these ads or tailor them to be kid friendly?

Second question, is there a way, or future plans, to have YouTube Kids channel to be made available?

Thank you
0 Kudos
reddice
Channel Surfer

Re: Question: Block suggestions and adding YouTube Kids

Jump to solution
I use this
https://youtube.adblockplus.me/

Edit nevermind you mean the Roku app I would love to block recommended and related videos.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Both of those things are up to the channel developers - they make the channels, decide on the content, and program the way recommendations work. 
0 Kudos
JHY
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for your replies.  I hope ROKU is taking note of these requests to allow customizing suggestions/ads and YouTube Kids.
0 Kudos
snowman2
Visitor

Youtube for Kids Channel

Jump to solution
Im assuming a youtube for kids channel would need to be developed and submitted by google vs requesting one from Roku. Wondering if anyone knows of info on youtube for kids coming to the Roku? tnx
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Ask Google. They are responsible for development of the channel
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
ShapeUp
Visitor

Jump to solution
With Roku being one of the most sold streaming boxes and even on tv''s themselves, on the market today, I would think Roku has something to do with not having an app for YouTube Kids at this point. I believe they have enough clout to get Google Play Store to get an app for them as they have for android tv.
Basil
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Roku doesn't run on Android. 

Google owns Android. Android TV is a competitor of Roku that runs on Google's operating system. And YouTube is owned by Google.

So, no, none of what you said.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
AndyCalling
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"ShapeUp" wrote:
With Roku being one of the most sold streaming boxes and even on tv''s themselves, on the market today, I would think Roku has something to do with not having an app for YouTube Kids at this point. I believe they have enough clout to get Google Play Store to get an app for them as they have for android tv.

Even Microsoft and Amazon can't get Google to co-operate, so Roku is not going to even be able to get Google to pick up the phone let alone help. I use no Google sevices because they are so awful to deal with, except Youtube (and an old Gmail account for the sole purpose of logging in to Youtube) as really there's no comparable alternative. Even at that level of involvement Google is a bind.