Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Travelstar
Level 8

YouTube January 2021 Update has killed the App

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, it looks like the January 13th 2021 YouTube update has damaged the app on ROKU. I have tried removing and re-installing but the same problem occurs. When you click on the app a small YouTube box appears in the middle of the screen, the screen goes black and then you are back to the ROKU Home screen again, it refuses to load. Two of our ROKU's so far have the same issue.

Anyone else having the same problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Travelstar
Level 8

Re: YouTube January 2021 Update has killed the App

Jump to solution

Original poster here.

Just as an FYI, I did not mark this post as solved, I am not sure who did but as the original poster this was the solution that I tried just after I posted the initial issue and it worked for me. I apologise for not getting back onto here quickly afterwards and posting the below as the solution.

The solution may not work for everyone, but hopefully one of the variety of potential solutions provided on this post and the replies may help one or all of you.

My solution:

1) Uninstall the YouTube App.

2) Pull the power on the ROKU, don't bother restarting, I tried that but it made no difference.

3) Put the power back in after 30 seconds or so, the ROKU should have discharged within this time and install the YouTube App again.

4) Now restart the ROKU in the normal manner using the menu options.

5) Once it has restarted check the YouTube app and hopefully it is working again for you now.

Number 2 is the important one here but you obviously need to conduct this task at your own risk in case it damages your ROKU, it shouldn't - otherwise power cuts would kill them!

The above process worked on 3 x ROKU Express (2019), 2 x ROKU 2 and 1 x ROKU 3.

Good luck to those of you that haven't had any joy in getting the app working again.

View solution in original post

144 Replies
Zoey68
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, having the same problem on one of our Roku's, our other 2 are working fine, does not make sense 2 are working and one isn't.

Zeynabrun
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did an update to my TCL tv yesterday 01/13/2021 & after that my youtube channel not working either. We definitely need help a life without YouTube I cannot imagine

Ticapnews
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can open the app but it constantly buffers and eventually stops completely.  No other app. Just YouTube.  

Zoey68
Level 7

Jump to solution

I got mine to work, I went to Settings on the main page, then to System and then to System Restart, and restarted the system, after that You Tube came back on and is working fine, you might try that, hope it works for you.

ningyu18
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, restarting didn't resolve this issue for me.

jimmy149
Level 7

Jump to solution

You Tube stopped coming on for me also.  Anybody?

Fran2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same problem here.  Tried multiple times restarting, deleting and re-uploading app per above suggestions. I am pretty frustrated since I use free youtube a lot for early morning fitness workout to get going.  Noticed Roku System software hasn't updated since December 2020 hoping they resolve this or if someone has a fix, please post.

Snoopy2b
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes. I am having the same problem. It was working last night (1/13/2021) and is not loading today. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and even rebooted. 

HireBetterDevs
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here, they need to hire better devs and get this fixed, or at least acknowledge this problem.