Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoGo
Level 8

Re: YouTube January 2021 Update has killed the App

Jump to solution

Thank you Patricija. It worked. You were the only one who said you have to Uninstall both the YouTube and YouTube TV App. I hope Roku posts this fix on their website to help all who have YouTube issues on their Roku players. Thank you once again

Millerpowell89
Level 7

Jump to solution

This works!! Thank you 😊 

DocRoot
Level 10

Jump to solution

I have the same problem on my brand new (bought yesterday) "Roku Express (2020)" - so it's not a problem limited to "old" devices. Although the "Express" only has 512MB RAM (apparently), so maybe it is related to memory? But that does seem ridiculous. YouTube appears to be the only "channel/app" that is affected. All other channels I've tried work OK.

When I try to run the YT app it simply freezes immediately - nothing changes on the screen - the device is unresponsive. After a few "minutes" the device restarts and I get the bouncing Roku logo.

I've tried the suggestions mentioned previously, but it's made no difference (unsurprising really since it is a brand new, freshly updated device). Notably:

1. Remove YT channel.

2. Power off and unplug for 30+ seconds.

3. Re-add the YT channel.

But as I say, this made no difference.

----

Model: 3930EU - Roku Express

Software version: 9.4.0 / build 4200-AE

YouTube App: Version 1.0 / build 93000123

istelecom
Level 8

Jump to solution

Here with roku 4 ... working ok again.. with the update of yesterday.... no buffering

0 Kudos
kha
Level 7

Jump to solution

As I read through the posts here, I began to understand that the issue *seems* to not be a Roku problem, but rather a Google/YouTube-created problem. Google/YouTube updated their software which doesn't support YT playing on older Roku devices. Like me, you'll likely have to upgrade your hardware, but not because of any failing on Roku's part.

I *believe* that the update-able nature of your 3800 refers to updating Roku's OS, and not to its partner apps who build out their software to exceed limitations of Roku's hardware.

0 Kudos
Glenn3
Level 7

Jump to solution

A factory reset fixed my Youtube to black screen to Roku reset issue.  Tap Tap Tap

0 Kudos
DocRoot
Level 10

Jump to solution

@kha wrote:

... Google/YouTube updated their software which doesn't support YT playing on older Roku devices. ...

But it's not just "older" Roku devices. It doesn't work on my "new" Roku Express either?!
Berylh
Level 7

Jump to solution

YES   It's making me nuts.  I hate being so addicted.  Maybe this forced withdrawal will cure me.

mneely
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku 4 working fine, but Roku 3 4200x still freezes/reboots on youtube app only.

Uninstalled/reinstalled youtube app, both with and without a disconnecting power from Roku.  Verified have the latest Roku build, and latest youtube app build.  I've never installed the youtube TV app.

0 Kudos
rchott
Level 8

Jump to solution

if you’re still having issues, you may need to remove some apps.

Something on the reinstall of YouTube doesn’t work correctly if you have too many apps installed.

You can see my full write up on this post;

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YouTube-update-of-1-19-21-crashes-older-Roku/...