Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube Channel Stopped Working on TCL Roku TV: "Connection Error: Please reconnect to the Internet" Grey Screen

Hello,

A few days ago yesterday the YouTube channel on my TCL Roku TV stopped working. When launching the channel after a few seconds of an hourglass a grey screen appears saying "Connection Error: Please reconnect to the Internet."

After this screen pops up, the "back" button won't respond and I have to use the home button to exit.

Troubleshooting steps taken (in order)

• Hard restart of TV (unplugged/plugged back in)

• Made sure TCL was on latest update

• Checked for good WiFi signal and time (set for auto)

• Uninstalled YouTube channel / reinstalled channel (latest version of channel)

• Uninstalled YouTube channel

• Factory Reset (ugh, last resort that proved fruitless but added an additional 30 minutes of work getting the TV back to its previous configuration.)

• Reinstalled YouTube channel

Still when channel starts, the grey screen appears with the "reconnect to Internet error."

Very frustrating, and about 30 minutes of web searches pulled up "close but no cigar" issues, mostly with mobile devices but nothing directly related to Roku devices or Roku TVs. Both Roku and TCL support sites were of no help.

Anybody else having this issue? Any assistance would be appreciated!
- Matthew J. Fazio
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: YouTube Channel Stopped Working on TCL Roku TV: "Connection Error: Please reconnect to the Internet" Grey Screen

@MatthewJFazio

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're seeing with that channel. A few questions here:

- Do you see issues with any other channel (app) on your device?
- If you go into Settings>Network>Check connection, what does your TV report? 
- Have you tried contacting YouTube support to report the issue and request additional assistance from that channel provider? 

It sounds like you've already covered these bases, but I'd recommend trying to remove the channel once more, then restart your TV from Settings>System>Power>System restart. Once it loads up again, go to Settings>Network>Set up connection and reconfirm your network details to connect to your network. Once this is complete, try adding the YouTube channel back once more. 

If you're still running into the issue from there, PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your TV from Settings>system>About, and include the version/build of the YouTube channel that you have installed. (Go to the channel tile on the Roku home screen and press the * key to see this information). I'll take a closer look and see what else we might be able to recommend. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: YouTube Channel Stopped Working on TCL Roku TV: "Connection Error: Please reconnect to the Internet" Grey Screen

Hello Tanner,

To answer your questions:

- Do you see issues with any other channel (app) on your device?
No

- If you go into Settings>Network>Check connection, what does your TV report?
Good / Excellent connection (checked this several times, it alternates between the two)

- Have you tried contacting YouTube support to report the issue and request additional assistance from that channel provider?
No.  There's no official "YouTube Channel for Roku Support" that I can find.  Plenty of "sorta-related" forums, and they've all suggested what I've already done.

Finally, I removed/re-added the channel, checked the network connection (excellent this time) and reinstalled-- same problem.

Here's a pic of the error:
- Matthew J. Fazio
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra details here. Please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the TV you are seeing this issue on from Settings>System>About. Please also include the version/build of the YouTube channel you have installed on your device by navigating to the YouTube channel tile on the Roku home screen and pressing the * key. 

I'll follow up with your directly to assist you further and see what other suggestions we can make. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Issue has been resolved.

Tanner,

The issue with YouTube -- noticed ONLY with YouTube so far-- turned out to be the network connection.

Per your previous suggestion to use a different source (like a hot-spot) I purchased a WiFi extender, set it up in the same room, and connected my TCL to it.  Whammo:  channel started up with no issues.

Keep in mind the Roku on this TV has been working just fine for the last couple years with a "good" quality connection;  I'm not sure if a TCL, Roku, or YouTube channel update "broke" viewing YouTube, but now an "excellent" connection is required to make it all work again.

Thanks for looking into this.

- Matt F.
- Matthew J. Fazio
0 Kudos
steffank
Level 7

Same thing here. I have a Roku 2 and a Roku 3. I have a wired connection. The last network connection check shows 77 Mbits/sec. I have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, with the same error "Please reconnect to the internet".
This happens for both Youtube and YoutubeTV, so I'm thinking of ditching both my Rokus and going with ChromeCast.
0 Kudos
adambaker156
Level 7

Same issue here as well. Internet is working as well along with other apps. And every troubleshooting possible.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue appears to relate to the wireless router or network that you are using to connect your device. We'd recommend trying to connect to a different wireless network, and see if you are able to successfully stream, or working with your ISP to change your router's current configuration (such as DNS settings) and see if this also has any impact. 

If that still isn't resolving the issue, you'll need to contact YouTube support to report the issue you are seeing and request additional assistance with their channel (app), as other channels are working normally on your device. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Victor_lzn
Level 7

Hi @RokuTannerD

I have a TCL Roku TV too and I'm having the same trouble with the UFC channel, I contacted the support team of UFC and this was their answer...

"We currently support the actual Roku device. We do not support smart tvs with a built-in Roku and is most likely the reason why you are experiencing an issue."

Is that true or they're just ignoring my issue? Can you help me please?
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

Well the creator of Roku app gets to determine what it supports.

This is a huge reason why I will never get a TV with built in Roku.  Also I tend to keep TVs many decades until they don't work and even replace power supplies or use an old VCR when tuner goes bad.  I prefer to use older TVs for retro game consoles.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos