Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LemonChiffon
Level 8

YouTube Channel Crashes - Usuallly during a commercial

Just in the past week, we have had an issue with the YouTube channel continuously crashing while watching a video (we have the Roku Stick on our TV).   It seems its almost always on one of YouTube's inserted and incessant commercials that it just freezes and then shuts down YouTube and brings you to the homescreen.  

We have removed the channel and then installed it again, with the same results.   

Is this a Roku issue or YouTube issue? 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
OwnerofDevices
Level 10

Re: YouTube Channel Crashes - Usuallly during a commercial

I had a different issue with an ad on my sharp Roku TV recently. The issue was skipping an ad caused YouTube to lock up and restart my TV. After the restart my TV has functioned well with the ads on YouTube. You might want to restart your Roku stick to see if that fixes your problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As @OwnerofDevices mentioned, a reboot will sometimes clear up an issue. Also, when you removed the channel, did you reboot the Roku before installing it again? If you did not, then it wasn't fully removed, and you might try it again.

Is it a Roku issue? I don't think so. I use YouTube almost daily, and have never had that happen.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LemonChiffon
Level 8

It seems, for now, that rebooting Roku has helped.   

0 Kudos
MizzS
Level 8

I'm having the exact same issue and found your thread when I came to enquire about it. The YouTube app on Roku Stick has started intermittently crashing and locking me back to the home page usually when an ad is playing. This has only started in the last week but it's happening repeatedly and is making YouTube virtually unwatchable on the Roku especially for longer videos with a few different ad interruptions. Has there been some kind of update which has caused this? My Roku was working fine prior to this week. It would be great if a representative from Roku could address this.

LemonChiffon
Level 8

I inevitably replied too soon as even with the suggested: (remove YouTube Channel, then Reboot Roku, then Add YouTube again) did NOTHING

I personally am thinking it's YouTube and their new ad structure, because that seems to be the only time it crashes.  And you don't even need to be doing anything (like clicking the play/pause button - attempting to end the commercials).  Also, YouTube now auto plays the next video they have lined up, somewhat related to what you were just watching - and that never happened before, unless you were on a specific YouTube subscribed channel, or, I imagine logged in (which we are not).    

MizzS
Level 8

That may well be the case re YouTube's ad structure, but this issue for me definitely started occuring since the Roku update which gave us the Olympic themed home screen. Prior to that everything was fine. It's specific to the advertisements only. The videos themselves work fine. But there seems to be some issue with the additional power demand or whatever is required to interrupt the video, load the ad, play it, then go back to the video... It usually crashes halfway through the ad. I've just been trying to watch one 20 minute video today and it has crashed on me 3 times so far. Roku need to look into this because it's making YouTube unusable. I can't imagine we're the only people experiencing this problem but perhaps the few who have been motivated enough to come and complain about it. I'll be making the switch to a Chromecast if it isn't fixed soon because I use YouTube a lot and this is really inconvenient.

0 Kudos
LemonChiffon
Level 8

Once again, it seems strangely intermittent.  I think it was OK after my last post and now, starting last night we could watch a video and then, once its done, the screen is black (usually prepping for their ads or, as mentioned on previous post, they are generating the next video to auto-play - even when we don't want their next selection!) and then it goes straight to the home screen on Roku.  And, it was happening every - single - time.  It IS getting extremely frustrating trying to watch anything. 

I suppose unless you contact support directly, they don't read these??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I watched YouTube for close to an hour yesterday on my Ultra 4800. Easily a dozen commercials. The channel never crashed. YouTube has been troublesome for some time for some users, so I can't pinpoint a software update as the cause. Google of course might have a reason to not care if their app works well on Roku devices, since they sell a competing product. I'm not saying it's intentional, but they certainly might not be particularly motivated to ensure it works perfectly.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MizzS
Level 8

That's a fair point about Google... But if Roku want to stay in business, they need to address issues such as these. It's not really good enough to just ignore customers when they raise a problem. I've seen Roku employees come into other threads to address concerns so there's no reason why they shouldn't address this one.

Contacting support directly is also a very frustrating process which I have already done. They have told me multiple times someone would look into it and get back to me, but of course I've heard nothing. 

0 Kudos