Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube - CNN & ESPN - No Audio

On the YouTube app for Roku, whenever I play a video from CNN or ESPN, the videos never have audio. All other videos play just fine with audio. Just those two channels have no audio for some reason. 

If I use the YouTube app included on the same smart tv (not roku) those videos play fine and have audio.

Super odd! I have a Roku Ultra. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: YouTube - CNN & ESPN - No Audio

left click three times.

ok

far right "stats for nerds"

codecs > second one is audio.

see any difference with videos with sound and not?

audio/video can't be played without the right codecs installed.

though,think they use same audio codec for all videos.

Level 8

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that most videos for CNN & ESPN use the following codec: 

vp9 (248) / mp4a.40.2 (140)

I thought maybe that was the culprit but I found other videos on different channels that use the same codecs and sound works just fine :/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having the same issue Using 4k Roku 4 device...started experiencing it a couple months back. Hopefully they correct it soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was able to get audio by clicking the options button (*) while playing the video without audio and changing the volume mode the "leveling" or "night".

Highlighted
Level 8

@synnyster that worked for me too. Thanks!

Still a bug that needs to be fixed but an easy workaround for now 👍🏼

Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks that did it.
However it seems to be a systemwide setting so don’t forget to switch it back to none after the effected videos as it can remove your surroundsound output for other app content such as Netflix.

thanks again!

0 Kudos