Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube App failing with false message and TV crash.

Is anyone else having trouble with the YouTube Channel App?   After Roku update, YouTube needed re-registration.  False message "Not enough room, try removing other channels"  Then on uninstall/reinstall the installation freezes and crashes my TV.  I hate to do a factory reinstall on the Roku because it would take many hours to reinstall channels and register them.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: YouTube App failing with false message and TV crash.

@VideoBob wrote:

Is anyone else having trouble with the YouTube Channel App?   After Roku update, YouTube needed re-registration.  False message "Not enough room, try removing other channels"  Then on uninstall/reinstall the installation freezes and crashes my TV.  I hate to do a factory reinstall on the Roku because it would take many hours to reinstall channels and register them.

My YouTube Channel app is working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@VideoBob 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How many channels do you have on your Roku TV? We would recommend removing any unused channels from your Roku TV, then performing a factory reset on your TV. Then after your TV is set back up, try adding the Youtube channel back again to see if that resolves your issue.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please be aware that when factory resetting your Roku TV, you will not need to reinstall channels individually, as they are linked to your Roku account and will be automatically installed when updating your TV. You will however, need to reauthenticate any channels that you have subscriptions to.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube & Insufficient Space

I'm not looking for help resolving this issue per se, but I do feel like it SHOULDN'T be the issue that it is, and that there should be better ways to resolve it.

I have an RCA Roku TV (Model No. 5512X, RCA Model RTR3261-CA), which has previously not let me launch YouTube, telling me that there is not enough space, and to delete some apps to free up space. I've done it, deleted some apps, and it lets me use it again...for awhile. It always seems to come back, even though no new apps have been added. I've tried deleting YouTube and reinstalling that, and that's worked...for awhile. Again, I'll use YouTube one day, and the very next I'll launch it and get the warning that there isn't enough space. I've done this many times, and reduced my channel count from (at one point) well over a hundred channels, down to currently less than 30. I just deleted 10 channels and am still getting the error. TEN CHANNELS! So apparently since yesterday, YouTube started requiring more space than 10 channels use? (And yes, it's always taken multiple channel deletes to satisfy YouTube's demands)

I know I could reset the tv and restart, but eventually I will wager that this error will happen again. And additionally it is a long and cumbersome process, and Roku always wants to add channels that have already been deleted off the device, because they're still tied to my account. :/

Isn't there a way to see the storage on the device? It would make life so much simpler if I knew just how much space YouTube needed to run, and what apps I could remove to make this happen rather than deleting app after app, striving to create space that once got used, and hoping each time that the next deletion will be the one to clear it?

None of my other apps seem to have this issue, only YouTube. Netflix, Crave TV, Disney +, and others all open with no space complaints. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: YouTube & Insufficient Space

No, there's no ability to see space remaining in memory. And unfortunately, very few Roku devices have the ability to expand channel storage memory via an SD card. The Ultra has been the only model for years with a slot, and I'm not aware of any Roku TV having an SD card slot. Since Roku TVs are all manufactured by different companies, there's no place that catalogs the equipment capabilities of a Roku TV like there is for Roku players. 

And we don't really know if that error is coming from a lack of channel storage memory, or the system memory. If it's system memory, then no Roku device has any way to increase that. 

I'm wondering if the YouTube app/channel has a memory leak (accidental or intentional). If so, a reboot of the Roku would likely clear the memory error, as it would dump all running code. You might try that next time it appears. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Rebooting the TV doesn't fix it. Neither does deleting the YouTube App and reinstalling it. And as I said, I deleted 10 channels on this last time, and over 70 channels total since the issue started happening (Including the YouTube app several times)

I wasn't asking if there was a way to see the storage availability, but was suggesting that there SHOULD be. It would make troubleshooting a lot easier. If the YouTube app is stating that more space is needed, but plenty is available, then we can include that information to tech support. 

Instead, the response is invariably to reset the TV to factory settings, which is nothing more than a workaround instead of actually fixing it.

Imagine if your computer was telling you it was out of disk space, and no matter how many times you deleted apps, you still got that message. You can't see the disk space available, and Microsoft tells you that you just need to reformat the computer to fix it. You aren't really fixing the problem so much as ignoring it and hoping it doesn't come back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Tatharnio wrote:

Rebooting the TV doesn't fix it. Neither does deleting the YouTube App and reinstalling it. And as I said, I deleted 10 channels on this last time, and over 70 channels total since the issue started happening (Including the YouTube app several times)

I wasn't asking if there was a way to see the storage availability, but was suggesting that there SHOULD be. It would make troubleshooting a lot easier. If the YouTube app is stating that more space is needed, but plenty is available, then we can include that information to tech support. 

Instead, the response is invariably to reset the TV to factory settings, which is nothing more than a workaround instead of actually fixing it.

Imagine if your computer was telling you it was out of disk space, and no matter how many times you deleted apps, you still got that message. You can't see the disk space available, and Microsoft tells you that you just need to reformat the computer to fix it. You aren't really fixing the problem so much as ignoring it and hoping it doesn't come back.

I don't disagree with you. But Google is responsible for their channel, and we don't know the actual cause of the message. Perhaps YouTube is reporting something in error, or something in the Roku OS is calculating something wrong. All I can say is YouTube works fine on all of my Roku devices. I have around 50 channels installed, although I only use 4-5 of them regularly. But YouTube is one I use constantly. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The flaw is in the way my Roku device interacts with the YouTube app.   One day it's working fine with all the incidental channels I have installed, then the next day I get the space warning having not added additional channels.   I have netflix, prime, cbs, pandora, pbs and crackle that require registration or subscription.  With other channels, it's 13 total without YouTube.  The number of channels warning must be malfunctioning on my device and triggered by the YouTube app.  I would hope that a Roku reinstall would cure this, but of course, 6 re-registrations is time consuming with no guarantee the same issue won't reappear.  Unless Roku analyzes the cause of this, I may be out of luck.

0 Kudos