Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhoopWhoop
Level 7

YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Everything about the Roku is slow, from scrolling through the home menu to finding a show on Netflix, although once the show loads it works perfectly fine. YouTube though, even getting to the point of loading the first 3 seconds in SD quality takes several minutes, not even considering if the entire video will play all the way through. I heard apps like MyVideoBuzz would be a good alternative if it was still alive.

As for the Roku's sluggishness the only thing I tried was removing the menu sounds and screensaver which did help out a bit but nothing spectacular. Might try deleting apps and doing a factory reset later.

Any tips or recommendations would be highly appreciated! The Roku still works and runs in 1080p which is good enough for me, so I see no reason in dumping it and getting a new one if it is a secondary device.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

If you're not willing to send a little to upgrade, I have no other suggestions.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

FYI, Google does not allow for alternative apps on Roku. So, if the performance is poor for you, get a new Roku.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

That's exactly what Roku wants. Go out and buy a new Roku and give them more money! It's absolutely pathetic how sluggish the older models are because of the software updates that are forced. These older Rokus are perfectly capable of streaming videos but they can't run the bloated apps and firmware that is forced now. There should be a way to use older versions of these apps to keep the older models running even if those apps look primitive by today's standards. And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. My advice is if you are upset with the forced updates that make your perfectly good older models almost useless today then don't buy any more Roku products, that is the way I am leaning since I have two Roku HD 2500x models and they are so slow now it's a major chore to watch anything. The only saving grace is that it still runs the older Netflix primitive app without all the built in annoyances on the modern app.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

The 2 XS is terrible for YouTube, I agree. I haven't used my 2 XS in years for that reason. And even for streaming my local media, the 2 XS was woefully inadequate. It has a bitrate limit of about 15 Mbps, which isn't high enough for even 1080 video, let alone 4K. That player is a 2nd generation box that was released in June 2011. For technology, that's ancient. Frankly, it's time for an upgrade. For under $40, there are many choices available. Roku has the Express and Premiere, Amazon has the Fire TV, and there are tons of generic Android players available online, although you have to ensure that YouTube is available on them. It's time to retire the 2 XS.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

2011?? Gosh, imagine trying to use a 1981 PC in 1989, or 1991 in 1999, or 2001 in 2009. Technology ages fast. Even a 2011iPhone is probably worthless in usage today. PC's have caught up, and a 2011 PC is likely still workable (within reason, Excel, Word etc), but streaming TV is still in its infancy & it should be somewhat understandable an 8 year old product has become outdated. They're $30 bucks too, we're not talking about a $600 computer + monitor or several hundred dollar cellphone.

I had an early Roku from about 2010, my TV was on its way out so in about 2016 I purchased a Roku TV. I moved the box to my bedroom & quickly realized how old it was so I purchased a new box too & haven't looked back.
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 8

"Emissary35" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

That's exactly what Roku wants. Go out and buy a new Roku and give them more money! It's absolutely pathetic how sluggish the older models are because of the software updates that are forced. These older Rokus are perfectly capable of streaming videos but they can't run the bloated apps and firmware that is forced now. There should be a way to use older versions of these apps to keep the older models running even if those apps look primitive by today's standards. And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. My advice is if you are upset with the forced updates that make your perfectly good older models almost useless today then don't buy any more Roku products, that is the way I am leaning since I have two Roku HD 2500x models and they are so slow now it's a major chore to watch anything. The only saving grace is that it still runs the older Netflix primitive app without all the built in annoyances on the modern app.

You do realize that the same thing happens with computers. Try running a program designed today on a 286 running DOS 2.0. It just doesn't work. The newer channels that you call bloated are designed to offer more features. Ex. Netflix allows multiple logins. Something that can't be done on a Roku built n 2011. Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement. Hell a 2011 Roku didn't run you tuber properly back in 2011. . It always hung up< Not until the newer boxes did you tube work properly. So stop bitching and realize that your 1929 Packard isn't as safe or functional as that new 2019 Chevy in your neighbor's garage.
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement.

News Flash:
That's not 'sort of' an advertisement.
That's absolutely an advertisement - with no way to disable that, or shrinking credits, or 'because you watched', or 'more with Clem Coultrane'...
and it's the reason I cancelled Netflix way back when I had a Roku 2 HD. I wouldn't be upset about if it didn't run Netflix (or YouTube) now... 'cause it's old and brittle and a back-up in case of emergencies... for Plex... and it'll run like @$$, no doubt about it.

I got a refurbed Roku Ultra at Amazon for $80 something not long ago - and considering the Plex UNO app runs like @$$ on my Ultra right now I'll be shopping for something newer ASAP (perhaps not a Roku - it depends).

As a PC Gamer I know that 'State of the Art' is outdated by the time you get it out of the peanuts and by the time you run about 30 maintenance cycles on it - it's junk.
Deal with it. Everybody else does.

BTW:
Regarding YouTube, I have no idea what YouTube developers are developing their app for, but it sure as HELL ain't a Roku (ANY). Since the beginning of time YouTube has run like @$$ on a Roku (ANY) and that likely won't change any time soon (if history is any indication of future events).
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Emissary35" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

... And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. ...

That was YouTube that killed all the alternatives.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement.

...- and considering the Plex UNO app runs like @$$ on my Ultra right now I'll be shopping for something newer ASAP (perhaps not a Roku - it depends). ...

What is "Plex Uno"?  I run the standard Plex app on my TVs and it works great.  Is this a 3rd party Plex app of some kind?
0 Kudos