Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ucinn
Level 7

You need to fix this quickly

This is the second time in a few months to come home and find all my channels gone. Have to reload them all and activate and log in to all of them again. I'm getting ready to go to the fire platform if this happens again. I will trash every Roku I have (5 of them) and switch. This is ridiculous to say the least.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: You need to fix this quickly

You're the first person I know to report this on this kind of scale.

We need more details on what happened to begin to investigate:

• What is/are the serial numbers of the unit(s) that experienced this behavior?

• How many of them experienced this behavior?

• How many channels were involved (how many do you have installed)?

• What are the model numbers of the Roku unit(s)?

• Where are you located?

• Are you using a VPN or other service designed to bypass regional restrictions?

Serial and model numbers, as well as the current firmware version and build number, can be found in Settings > System > About.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
ucinn
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

• Where are you located?

• Are you using a VPN or other service designed to bypass regional restrictions?

Serial and model numbers, as well as the current firmware version and build number, can be found in Settings > System > About.

It's about 15 channels or so..playstation vue, airplaytv, cbssports, nbcsports,tnt, tbs, and a few others. last time was on 3 of the 5..don't know how many of them lost it this time. No VPN, just your regular wireless router and cable modem. one of the units this happened to is hardwired, 1 was on wifi and the other is my Roku TV(insignia) also on wifi. one Roku Ultra, one Roku express and one Roku tv. I will have to check the others tomorrow, but the one most watched is the ultra hardwired and it has happened twice now on it in 3 months. This seems to be a common problem as a google search will find more instances of this happening.
0 Kudos
ucinn
Level 7

"ucinn" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

• Where are you located?

It's about 15 channels or so..playstation vue, airplaytv, cbssports, nbcsports,tnt, tbs, and a few others. last time was on 3 of the 5..don't know how many of them lost it this time. No VPN, just your regular wireless router and cable modem. one of the units this happened to is hardwired, 1 was on wifi and the other is my Roku TV(insignia) also on wifi. one Roku Ultra, one Roku express and one Roku tv. I will have to check the others tomorrow, but the one most watched is the ultra hardwired and it has happened twice now on it in 3 months. This seems to be a common problem as a google search will find more instances of this happening.

I have the info on the Ultra that's wired that it has happened to twice..I will check the others tomorrow and can give you the info on the other two it happened to last time
Model: 4660X-Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00FH447380
Software Version: 8.0.1 Build 4090-46
Device ID CK37DF447380
I'm in Fairfield Township Ohio
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Thanks.

The more information I have, the easier it will be to investigate this issue.  We'll also be able to look at logs of the various units.

If you can also provide date/approx time you first noticed the issue, we'll be able to narrow it down a lot more quickly.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I've seen this happen previously with one or two channels (I experienced it myself), but I've never seen it to that extent.  I fired off a couple of emails to the relevant teams to see if they've seen anything like this before.

I'll post back if I have more information I can pass along.  Again, thanks for the report!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I got a preliminary report from CS tonight regarding your logs for the DeviceID you provided.

I'll definitely need to know when you first noticed the issue of channels disappearing.

The Social team also hasn't seen this level of an issue before, but they asked me to ask the following questions:

• Is it possible someone may be removing channels on one device linked to your account? (which could affect other devices on the same account)

• Have you sideloaded any channels, or installed any non-certified channels (eg private channels)

• How many channels do you have total tied to your personal account?

The one thing social noted that is if you have family members with access to your Roku (or friends that might be tied to the account), they may be deleting channels without your knowledge.  For example, I have three Rokus at my parents' house that are tied to my personal Roku account, so my son can watch his favorite shows when he's visiting with them.  If one of my parents deletes a channel for whatever reason, or tries to add a new one, it will update my Rokus at home and delete or add new channels without my knowledge (Which is reminding me that I need to instruct them not to do that :mrgreen: )
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
ucinn
Level 7

I can't tell you exactly what time this happened. I can tell you it was between 10PM and 5PM the next day..both times it was in this time period. I don't know of anyone else that has access to my account. I doubt somebody even if they did have access would remove all those channels. It's like it sets itself back to factory as all the channels that are left are the same ones both times. I know I gave my son my old Roku 3..I will check with him and make sure he's not doing it. I'll let you know if I find anything on my end. If they were deleting them, wouldn't it delete them from all my Roku's linked to my account? I ask this because the event that happened yesterday affected my Roku Ultra in the living room, but our Roku TV was not affected this time.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

At this time, nothing we're seeing suggests the channels are being deleted due to a bug, so the likely culprit is someone deleting channels without your knowledge.

You might suggest to anyone using your account to use the * key on the remote to move the channels they don't use to the bottom of their homepage, rather than deleting them.

Regarding your last statement:  Channel updates (deletions/additions/update) can take anywhere between an hour and 24 hours, depending on the usage of the device.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I'd suggest having your son set his Roku up with a different email address.. if you share accounts like Hulu, Netflix, etc, you can still share those, but if the two of you want separate channel control, set his Roku up with a different account.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos