Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Where's Peacock?

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

The 3700 was released in October 2016. The 3900's are from 2017. According to a chart on Wikipedia, the 3700's use some weird MStar CPU. The 3900's are using common ARM Cortex CPU's.

As noted, since Peacock is new, they are probably using an API (Application Programming Interface) designed for newer models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku


That might explain why the new app doesn't support older Roku models. But it also says NBC didn't care enough to do the research to determine what percentage of Roku users were using older models. They likely could have made it work if they really wanted to. 

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Where's Peacock?

Jump to solution

@KordKutter wrote:

@andyross wrote:

The 3700 was released in October 2016. The 3900's are from 2017. According to a chart on Wikipedia, the 3700's use some weird MStar CPU. The 3900's are using common ARM Cortex CPU's.

As noted, since Peacock is new, they are probably using an API (Application Programming Interface) designed for newer models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku


That might explain why the new app doesn't support older Roku models. But it also says NBC didn't care enough to do the research to determine what percentage of Roku users were using older models. They likely could have made it work if they really wanted to. 


Or Roku could have provided a consistent development environment instead of making things difficult - something that shows even in their own hastily replaced and broken media player and lack of VLC and Kodi apps.

Highlighted
Level 7

Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution

I have premier + and it's supposed to be compatible with the new peacock channel!? I was able to install it on my roku ultra but it doesn't even show up in a search for it in the channels on the premier plus??? Whats going on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Where's Peacock?

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell wrote:

@KordKutter wrote:

@andyross wrote:

The 3700 was released in October 2016. The 3900's are from 2017. According to a chart on Wikipedia, the 3700's use some weird MStar CPU. The 3900's are using common ARM Cortex CPU's.

As noted, since Peacock is new, they are probably using an API (Application Programming Interface) designed for newer models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku


That might explain why the new app doesn't support older Roku models. But it also says NBC didn't care enough to do the research to determine what percentage of Roku users were using older models. They likely could have made it work if they really wanted to. 


Or Roku could have provided a consistent development environment instead of making things difficult - something that shows even in their own hastily replaced and broken media player and lack of VLC and Kodi apps.


So Roku devices are cheap and disposable, where you will need a new one every couple of years as each model reaches end-of-life for development support.

I wonder how Apple TV compares to Roku in this regard? I've never had one. They are much more expensive, but how long are they supported for?

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Where's Peacock?

Jump to solution

Some on here may be interested to know Google will be bringing out their own media stick/dongle (not Chromecast) with remote and U.I., at the end of this month, price range supposedly around $50, so that's the option I'm looking at instead of buying a new Roku to replace my now useless Express. At least it will have better access to more apps.

PeacockTV was not the first app I had trouble with using my express, Prime wouldn't work on it either. I suppose it's all part of the programmed obsolescence we have come to accept in this world as we are told it's a sign of progress. I think all the manufacturers of these devices should have to take them back from the customer and dispose of them environmentally when they become obsolete, free of charge of course.

Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution

What model NUMBER Premier+ ?  Check via Settings > System > About.

The NBC Peacock app for Roku was written by NBC to be compatible with the following Roku models:
(Current as of September 22, 2020. Check the source listed below for updates.)

Roku 2 (4210X model only)
Roku 3 & 4 (model 4200X or later)
Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600X or later)
Roku Express/Express+ (model 3900X or later)
Roku Premiere/Premiere+ (model 3920X or later)
Roku Ultra/Ultra LT (model 4640X or later)
Roku TV and Smart Soundbar (model 5000X or later)

Source: https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/what-devices-and-platforms-are-supported-by-peacock

 

  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: You can now add Peacock to Roku

Jump to solution

Did this.  Nothing yet.   How long does it take after adding the channel via the website above, for PEACOCK to appear in my ROKU channel list?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: You can now add Peacock to Roku

Jump to solution

@loisj wrote:

Did this.  Nothing yet.   How long does it take after adding the channel via the website above, for PEACOCK to appear in my ROKU channel list?


You will need to add the streaming channel to your Roku from the Roku device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why won’t the new Peacock App download to my Roku Express

Jump to solution

I have an older Roku, and it doesn't show up there. 

0 Kudos