Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buzzmunkey
Level 7

You Tube

Well since roku has made sideloading the better youtube channel not work, what do you say you at least make the legitimate you tube channel work right.. I mean make it to where when you log in to the channel it stays logged in.. I have to re log in every two to three days for whatever the reason and it's not from me leaving it because  I never log out..  I never logged out of My Videobuzz and it stayed logged on unless I changed boxes..  Why can't youtube stay logged in..  I don't own a gadget to log in every two or three days.. and buying a different streaming device isn't in the cards yet.. But might be to get yoiutube to work via videobuzz depening when the developer decides to move and where.. I'm keeping an eye on that action, it will determine where i go to and leave roku permanently..   FIX IT or let sideloading return...
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KenJackson
Level 7

Re: You Tube

I don't know what "sideloading the better youtube channel" means.  

I watch the YouTube app on my Roku occasionally and I think it's a poorly written app.  If I just let it play, it usually works, but if I try to pause or replay something, it usually crashes my Roku.  There's also a long delay between pressing a button and seeing the response.

But I never have to log in.  I guess I did once, a long time ago.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I've had to log back in on occasion after a channel update. Not always, but sometimes. That's the fault of Google, not Roku. They update the app but lose the credentials. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
buzzmunkey
Level 7

Actually i do think it is the fault of roku because there really aren't that many people who sign into youtube to use it, and the ones who do seem like they have trouble staying logged in.. I have youtube on my tv and it was logged in back in October and hasn't logged out since and so that makes me think it is the device not the service, so i am blaming roku mostly because as well the service that I talk about in the sideloading (if you cared you would know how it was the better service) and it never had to be logged back in either..  Sure I could blame youtube and maybe they are equally to blame but if either of them actually did care this wouldn't be happening at all..  Oh well.. Hopefully the developer of the program I am talking about will announce where he is taking his service an I will follow where he goes and not care about roku anymore...  
0 Kudos
23rdDjin
Level 7

"buzzmunkey" wrote:
A)...there really aren't that many people who sign into youtube to use it..

B)...and the ones who do seem like they have trouble staying logged in...

A) are there any facts behind this claim or is it pure hyperbole?

B) hmm... same question as above.

i really have to ask considering i'm one of the (supposed) very few who log in and have had no trouble whatsoever with being logged out.

for well over 5 1/2 years at that.

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
buzzmunkey
Level 7

Which box do you use and how do you log in??  I tried to log in with the device log in but that doesn't work.. I tried using a iphone but that didn't work.. So I just use the log in as the alternative way to link the two.. Sadly it should work and remain logged in but doesn't.. I think a lot of people just assume it's the way  it is to just have to log in repeatedly mostly because Google youtube sucks and has sucked since being introduced to the roku streaming platform..  Either the roku doesn't work right or Google doesn't work right (youtube).. I know  therere others who have troubles with roku staying signed in, and either I am doing it wrong or... How do I know?? I have three boxes that do the same exact thing.. Two expresses and one HD.. They do the same exact thing, log in and remain logged in for three days then need to be logged in again...  It's not a huge issue but I get tired of it because I don't have a iphone handy to do this every two or three days.. Eventually I will give up and get a different streaming device..  
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I've never had this problem. I've had Roku devices since well before Google introduced their YouTube app. The only time I've ever had to log in to YouTube after that first time was if I got a new Roku device, or if I logged out in order to log in again to let someone here know how to do it right. I've never, after having logged in previously, had to reauthenticate YouTube on Roku. Or Apple TV. Or Fire TV.

I usually use my computer to log in, but have used my iPhone or Android phone to log in when going through it for a Forums user.

If you want to clear out any possible local app issue -- that is, a corruption with your local installation of the YouTube app or some corrupt data stored on the Roku about the app -- just follow these steps:

1. iPhone: Check the network to which you are connected.

2. Roku: Check the network to which you are connected. Ensure it's the same as Step 1.

3. iPhone: Launch YouTube on your iPhone.

4. iPhone: Log in to YouTube on your phone.

5. Roku: Remove YouTube from your Roku.

6. Roku: Reboot the Roku.

7. Roku: Locate and install the YouTube app on the Roku. Easiest place is Streaming Channels > Most Popular.

8. Roku: Launch the YouTube app.

9. Roku: Click Sign In.

10. iPhone: Touch your account icon in the top right.

11. iPhone: Ensure your account is selected in the bottom drop-down, or click "Continue As Buzzzmunkey"

12. iPhone: Grant access by selecting "Allow"

13. Roku: Watch stuff.
Do the steps in that order. Don't skip any.

If that doesn't work, there's a setting you have on your iPhone that may be preventing it. There also might be something about your YouTube account. But, it works for me, and has worked for me for a long, long time. If you follow those steps -- in that order, don't skip around, don't skip any at all -- you should be able to log in successfully from your phone. And, it should not log you out. It doesn't log me out.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

I use YouTube daily on my Roku, and I do not have to put my password in each time. That's my story.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
buzzmunkey
Level 7

IT"S OVER... I mean the issue.. Seems the roku is holding the ability to stay logged in.. Not sure if they tweaked it or I was holding my mouth just right the last time I logged in but it seems to be holding the login..   I did try every idea that there was and the last time was after two days later and it stayed logged in.. One thing I do notice sometimes when YouTube is starting it has an hour glass thing before the splash screen (the youtube screen) And I never noticed that before, it doesn't show every time but it is there every now and then.. I'm glad it staying logged in now, or has for what is five days now, a new record..  
0 Kudos