Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: You Tube crashes back to Home

I have Roku 2 Model 2720X.  I have had YouTube work successfully for years until a week ago, now it crashes back to home screen as described here.  Lots of back and forth with Roku Chat customer service providing ID Tracker, software updates etc.  The customer service rep stopped responding after I provided everything she requested.  Thank God its not Netflix channel!!!  I may just buy a newer  Roku model and see if that will download YouTube.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I just checked my device.  There is still no new update.   I verified that the 4701 build still has the  problem. Very odd that this problem just happens to coincide with the Holiday Sales.   Also very odd, that Customer Service seems helpful and then drops the ball once they get the details of exactly what the problem is.  

This is one of three things.

1. A very large coincidence..

2. A intentional software bug introduced to force people to upgrade perfectly good Roku devices in order for them to get more Holiday Sales.

3. Extremely poor software version management where they cannot or will not figure out how they introduced this problem.  

Items 2 and 3 above mean I will not be upgrading or purchasing any other Roku products until this is fixed.   What assurance do I have that the new device will not have the same or an even worse problem?

Highlighted

I agree entirely, mrburns42.  Very well said.

Your point # 3 is correct, as it is clear that the 9.2 software update has caused problems with several apps, including paid apps like CBS All Access, and it doesn't compute that Roku would jeopardize its relationships with these entities in order to sell new $30 players to end users.

From that standpoint, Google has zero incentive to troubleshoot the YouTube Roku app on its end, as it is marketing its own media player.  Roku has really put itself in a pickle with this buggy software release and its mode of blaming app issues on the app developers.  As Black Friday and Cyber Monday approach,  Google may well be perfectly fine with YouTube being rendered defunct on the Roku platform.

I'm in the same boat as you, mrburns42, with my Roku 2, the Roku 9.2 OS update, and the non-functionality of the YouTube app.  I keep looking to this board for information while I keep expectantly navigating to the system page on my Roku to see if a new software extension has been released.  Nothing.  

I have been using the Roku for nearly a decade and the experience I'm having now, which clearly many users are having, has been extremely frustrating.  No solutions here and even less accountability.  Not even a "We're working on it." Just links to Google's YouTube support page, which isn't doing Roku any favors as there are numerous rants posted by users talking about returning their Roku tvs. Honestly guys, you're always better served by keeping troubleshooting issues on a board that you moderate... so start troubleshooting and stop finger-pointing.  Loyal Roku users are anxiously awaiting an update to the 9.2.0 update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

You Tube channel is working for me tonight.  Watched for about 45 minutes through several different videos and no crashes back to the Home Screen.   I did the standard method of scrolling to the right to the end of the row and then trying to jump down one row.  It works as before.   Puzzled, I exited You Tube and checked my Roku build number thinking that it did an auto update.   That was not the case, as I am still at build 4701.

Going back into the You Tube app,  I scrolled through various items in the System till I found a version number.   The current version is Web_20191125_00_RC00     The middle portion appears to be a date and is two days ago.   Therefore, when You Tube is showing the hour glass during startup,  I think it is actually downloading the app.    Roku system itself says that the last update was 11/18/2019.

Seems strange to me that they are so secretive on how this stuff works.  But anyway,  I hope this build is working for others.  Also,  Thank You to whomever got this problem fixed in the build version above.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I solved my YouTube problem by doing what someone suggested (by the way this is for YouTube not YouTube TV). I installed the YouTube app even though I never plan to use it. Then I removed the YouTube app and powered down. I then installed the YouTube app and powered down. Then, I tried the regular YouTube app and it prompted me for my gmail password etc.. It then worked. I was pretty frustrated and I don't find this community board easy to find answers and others posts.

0 Kudos