Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

You Tube crashes back to Home

For the last several weeks, the You Tube channel will intermittently crash and exit back to the Home Screen.  This often happens when browsing the thumbnail videos with the remote.  It also happens when pressing the back button to exit a video.   When it occurs it is a real pain, as the You Tube channel takes quite a while to load up. 

I ruled out the remote control by programming up a spare IR remote and trying that.  Same problem.

As mentioned else where.   I tried removing the channel, rebooting the Roku, and reinstalling the channel.  Same problem.  In fact, it crashed and exited six times just trying to get my user info setup in the channel.

I also checked for updates and the System says I am up to date.

Player is a Roku2 (Roku Player 2720X)   Software Version 9.2.0  Build 4131

Anyone else having the type of problem?

14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: You Tube crashes back to Home

If you read the older posts, you'll see that a lot of people are having this same problem. I posted about having the same exact problem that you're having here and I've also contacted YouTube several times reporting the issue. The only answer I seen being give for any problem in this forum is the remove, re-boot, reinstall solution which as you see does nothing. I'm sorry to say that you aren't going to find a solution here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for the confirmation that it is not isolated to my box. 

I am wondering if it is not a problem in the Roku OS rather than the You Tube app.   The reason I wonder this is that I have had some crashes on the Acorn Channel as well.   Not as bad as You Tube, but still unexplained crashes back to Home.   

Perhaps others could comment if any other channels have similar issues.   If so, then I think it is a memory problem in the OS itself rather than the channel or app.  

I searched and it is apparently no longer possible to rollback the OS.   That is bad since it keeps us from trying to troubleshoot the issue.    Anyone know a way to rollback the OS now?  

If the problem gets fixed, then is it possible to freeze the software and prevent updates?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Feel free to send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About and specific details about each incidence of this behavior that you have encountered. Whenever this issue occurs, please generate an issue tracker report ID by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly and note these numbers, and which channel you were watching. We can pass this information along to the team to take a closer look. 

To troubleshoot these channel installations, we would recommend removing the channel from the Home screen, restarting your device, then adding the channel back once more. Rolling back your software is not a supported or viable solution, as there are a variety of system/service dependencies included in each subsequent release that may impact performance moving forward. 

I'll keep an eye out for your message and we can go from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Level 8

FYI, for anyone monitoring the topic.   I did generate three crash files for this issue last night and send the ID numbers and details to Tanner. 

Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having the same problem, I did everything you did and my next step was to contact YouTube. It seems like someone else did that and no solution was offered. I believe the problem is the Roku2 Player, I saw a video a while back that mention that there could be a problem with Roku 1 and 2 accessing the You Tube channel. I'm going to go on my computer and see what the problem was.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Well its an interesting question.   Who wrote the software for the  You Tube channel?   Did You Tube write it?  Or is it a Roku creation?   On a computer, when I open You Tube is a browser,  then You Tube is just providing a web page with links.   When You Tube on the Roku is it just pulling the same web page and then providing a reformatting of that info?    I don't know the answer.  

My guess is that the You Tube channel is a Roku product.   If they provide the interface, then they probably can get a piece of the advertising revenue placed before the videos.   If it was completely a You Tube application, then any piece of the advertising pie would be much smaller.  What I notice on the Roku2, is the option to skip the ad is not active for several seconds after the icon appears, so something is forcing more of the ad to be watched.  The same delay does not occur in my web browser. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I got a the following response from Tanner:

"I'll pass this along to my team to share with the channel provider and continue investigating. "

That seems to indicate that Roku did not write the You Tube app.  However, it also does not state that it is You Tube itself providing the app.  Perhaps there are third party software vendors doing the apps which would help explain these kinds of problems as they probably do not thoroughly test all configurations. 

The following steps will repeatedly crash my Roku2 every time.  Perhaps others could try this sequence and report back the results.  If we have a way to quickly and repeatedly cause the crash it will make it easier for them to reproduce and find the problem.

1.  Open the You Tube Channel.

2.  With the right arrow button, scroll to the very end of the first row or ribbon of videos.  Just highlight each one, no need to actually watch them.   In fact, please do not watch any so that the method is the same for everyone.

3.  Once you hit the extreme right edge and can scroll no further to the right.  Then Press the down arrow button on the remote one time.

When the software was working, that would jump me back to the left most video thumbnail in the second row.  Now it crashes and returns to the Home screen. 

If others could try that and post both their results and their Roku model # it would probably help them both reproduce it and determine what the cause is. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Keep pressing the OK button after you launch the app and it will load. I did this and got an error message and was given a chance to report it to YouTube which I did. Clearly something is wrong but this work around will let you access You Tube at the moment. (Scratches head).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

FYI,

I did a search for an update and my Roku2 found one and downloaded it.   It rebooted the Roku2 and when I opened You Tube for the first time after reboot, it is a funny little extra loading step with a spinning circle like it was installing something else new.

However, the crashes remain the same.   On my machine the steps I published earlier will crash it 100% of the time.   It will also intermittently crash when pressing the back button at the end of a video.

The Build version for this new version is 4701.

0 Kudos