Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rudedog830
Level 7

YTTV video is choppy only on Roku

Very recently, YTTV played on my Roku Ultra has choppy video (all channels).  The audio is fine.  My connection is very good.  I have no problems when watching from a browser, a NVidia shield, and my Android TV on my smart TV.  I've checked for system/channel updates.  I've rebooted the Roku.  What else should I look at?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YTTV video is choppy only on Roku

You didnt mention your firmware version (Settings/System/About) or your YTTV app version (Highlight YTTV, Options), or how your 4640 is connected.

1) You can try manually configuring your YTTV resolution:

During play/playback:  Press Down/HD/1080p60  (for 1080 channels) or 720p60 (for 720p channels)

You may need to do this twice (once for the 720p channels, once for the 1080p channels).

Keep in mind that app updates and network/internet connectivity issues may set this back to "Auto" and you'll need to manually configure it again (so check it now and then, such as if you notice a loss of resolution during play/playback or after a firmware/app update, or a power outage/loss of power).

2) Reboot/restart your networking equipment (modem/router/gateway/switches/AP) - probably best to do this at least once a week

3) Otherwise, if you run the network check (Settings/Network/Check connection) a few times in a row, is the resultant "internet download speed" relatively consistent?  If its not within about 5-8Mbps each time, there might be load/interference issues on your LAN/WLAN, and that would be something to look into (manually configure the 2.4Ghz (1, 6, 11) and 5Ghz (36, 48, 149, 165) channel usage, reduce the channel bandwidth, stop other devices streaming)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rudedog830
Level 7

Resolved: YTTV video is choppy only on Roku

I have a Roku 4660X (not a 4640).  It is ethernet connected.  My network connection test is good and I show 58 Mpbs reported by the test.  My Roku version is 10.0.0 build 4209-46.  The YTTV app is at version 2.20 build 93005573.  I tried the setting the resolution for the channel manually without any change.  

As a final step, I changed the display type in settings.  Roku, when set to automatic, will configure my display as 4k 60 Hz, but my TV will not support 60 Hz.  So, I had the setting at 4k 30 Hz.  It has been at this setting since I got the TV.  I manually changed it to 4K HDR 30 Hz and the stuttering is gone.  Seems to have been some sort of sync issue with the Roku.  When I switch the display type back to 4k 30 Hz (non-HDR), the problem is no longer there.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Resolved: YTTV video is choppy only on Roku

Your community profile indicates you have a 4640 (these are sometimes wrong).

Interesting resolution - I assume your TV is 4K HDR (HDR10)?

You might also want to try enabling (or disabling if its enabled) framerate matching:

Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display setting/Auto adjust display refresh rate

If you do enable it, you might try the "Auto detect" display setting again and see what results.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos