Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YOUTUBE screen is so big it does not fit my TV.

Jump to solution

The tv I watch Youtube on does not have an HDMI so here is what I did, left the old tv hooked up with the red/yellow/white, hooked up a small newer tv with the HDMI at the same time, YouTube was normal size! Disconnected the HDMI, stayed normal on the old set. 🤞it stays

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Cool, seems like to much work carrying in my 42 inch to fool it to work. I've not lost hope now that I got in contact with a human in technical support on their end stressing I'm a paying customer under full support. It'll be resolved soon and then I'm calling back and requesting for a month free for the inconvenience. We all know Google YouTube is always hungry for money, and advertising. That is what the work around should be they still provide 144p video resolution on the youtube site, so it doesn't make sense to not give support for rca cable hook-ups to make them money and be provide with quality service. I'm sure its probably two lines of code that may have been pounded out and can be added back.  I would try this temporarily, but the longest hdmi cable I have is 6 foot. I did try before I called them to just plug in a hdmi cable to the back of that Roku unit hooked to nothing else. It didn't work, but then I noticed on my Tablet via the feedback for YouTube Premium Customers it had a call me back. So I decided to try it that route, and 2 seconds later I was on the phone w/ technical support human. That was the first I tried that route. I've sent plenty of feedbacks but it was from the website and they must be piled up and prioritized by a bot. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I wonder if there is something about connecting the HDMI cord to the monitor/TV that sends a signal back to the Roku that syncs the screen size with the Yoku program. I unplugged the HDMi only from the monitor/TV (to go back to what I have) and it held the screen size.

Now, where I live, there are frequent power outages so I will see if I have to re-sync this each time the Roku reboots. If that works, it's just a minor work-around until YouTube corrects the issue. I've lived through worse.

A worthy question is whether the end user has already started the YouTube program *before* connecting the HDMI or did they try to connect the cord and *then* bring up YouTube? It could be that you have to start YouTube on your Roku before connecting the cords for the program to sync the screen. 

BTW, thank you, @aerobroken for making human contact. That could be a big help. Get names and, if possible, find if they have a direct number or email. That saves you from having to explain to a new person each time.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I did that 2 weeks ago, as well as the uninstall and reinstall. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you Aerobroken.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Add another: Roku SE to the list. Same problem. Same cause. Same no solution. I am not sure whose update caused the problem (Roku or Youtube), or if it was caused by both.

The HDMI trick sort of works, but causes my Roku SE to think I have an HD TV when I have SD (Standard Definition) and stretches everything which is now 16:9 to fit a 4:3 screen.  >>> My NOT happy face: :-(

Footnote:  01/10/2020 YouTube Update has corrected the problem for me as well.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes. Both HDMI and RCA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Atltimesys said: "The HDMI trick sort of works, but causes my Roku SE to think I have an HD TV when I have SD (Standard Definition) and stretches everything which now 16:9 to fit a 4:3 screen."

Thank you for trying that and reporting your findings.  Hopefully if YouTube and Roku engineers are reading this, it will help in the diagnosis and eventual fix.  That trick worked for me until I power-cycled the Roku unit, but my sets were 16:9 ratio, so this is good info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

See more have come w/ the same issue using RCA cables and it affecting the newest YouTube Update that got all of us. We've diagnosed that is the problem.  I hoping that in the next 5 days they will resolve this since so much of the holidays have given this a challenge. Now I know how to get a human on the phone, and that they know I am a paying Youtube Premium user they can get this to the right dept. as I requested when I spoke to them last.

I will after another 5 days give them another call in the earlier daytime, and talk to the support technician, and ask them to pass me over to that correct dept. to help expedite this whole process so we can get this resolved. Try and be patient guys, keep sending those feedbacks too they include the log attached with all the information of your Roku unit, model, and the YouTube app, and how it's connected. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for continuing to report the issue you're experiencing with the YouTube channel. 

We've passed this feedback with your specific reports along to the YouTube team to request that they investigate the issue affecting their channel further. Please continue to follow up with YouTube support to report any additional examples or request any updates on the status of this issue. 

We'll be sure to share any news that we hear, or let everyone know if an update to the channel is made available by the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager