Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cblucas3
Level 9

Re: YOUTUBE screen is so big it does not fit my TV.

Jump to solution

aerobroken,  You stated "The only information I was able to gather on the most recent update that caused this was through the app on the Roku unit".

How were you able to find this information " through the app"? I can only find information for the Roku update. I cannot find information for any individual app on the Roku. 

Highlighted
TVtower2
Level 9

Jump to solution

Cblucas3,

Start at home screen.
Right arrow over to your apps.
Up or down arrow until you find the YouTube box, but don't hit the OK button.  Just leave it highlighted in the white surround box.
Hit the Star (*) button on the remote.
You will now have a box with YouTube at the top, the YouTube version number, and several other choices including "Give us Feedback".  Be sure to do the Give us Feedback as often as you can, picking The User Interface is Not Working.

Highlighted
TVtower2
Level 9

Jump to solution

aerobroken said: "It's sad that we all have to become somewhat experts and clan together to figure this stuff out today, and these companies make it so difficult to help us with even finding the information, or getting the support for a service we've paid for, and is still supported."

My thoughts exactly.  So far we as a group have done most of the troubleshooting for them.  We narrowed it down to affected units, and further narrowed it down to what software update broke it and exactly what it broke on those affected units.  This could be as simple as one data bit that tells the unit if RCA ports are being used, adjust screen size accordingly.  This isn't rocket science.

The problem is getting directly to the designers and programmers and past the telephone and email operators with their list of canned responses.

Roku, are you here?  Are you reading this thread?  Have you contacted the YouTube app designers?  Help us out here.  Please.

Highlighted
aerobroken
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes, you can access the Version Number for any of the apps you have installed. 

* Go to home Screen [Apps installed show]

* Arrow over to that app

* Press the

* at the Top it displays> "YouTube" Version 2.0 - Build 910000080

The version of the apps are all different. I have never figured out how to verify when they are updated, unless I remove them, recycle the Roku unit to clear the cache, and then reinstall that app and do the whole signup and enter all the required information. As for the Roku version updates that does provide us the date and version.  It's clearly a YouTube App issue that is the cause.  Another thing by memory I think there were 2 updates on or around 12/10/19 for myself for this app. The first one seemed to work and it kept signing me out and in, and that was sort of distracting, and now it will sign me in which is very hard to check with it being so zoomed in. One thing is it works, but it's way to large, my text in the titles, and below is so large it's overlapping the next one.  Youtube seemed to also do this update on it's website as well sometime around or before since the channels pics are large in viewing on the computer through Chrome. 

Highlighted
aerobroken
Level 9

Jump to solution

I just sent in another feedback to YouTube Support, but another source:

https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

This looks like the same as I've done 3 other times on the YouTube Page too. Look to the left on the bottom and click that on YouTube Help "submit feedback" I chose the top, and gave them all my information, and pointed them to this thread here. Hopefully after tomorrow we can get on of them to look into it and resolve this soon. "Feel free and submit your own" with all your information if your Roku unit is on the supported list I provide a few posts back. My hope is that my unit being supported and my being a Paying YouTube Premium member it could escalate this a bit more. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
aerobroken
Level 9

Jump to solution

There's another thread on here:

"YouTube not functioning since 9.2 update"

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YouTube-not-functioning-since-9-2-update/td-p...

That is also my unit model, and this was back in 11-18-2019. I actually did do a full rebuild after that happened since both my units would load the YouTube app and then crash trying to sign in. The workaround that fixed it was rebuild unit, then I had to use the Official Android YouTube app, and the Roku App from the Google Playstore, and was able to get signed in and it wouldn't crash, and it worked fine until this new Roku Update on 12/10. I didn't notice it until on or around 12/12, but was sick so I let it go a few days. I then posted on the Roku Reddit sub, and didn't get any help but upvotes. So after a few more day I came here to seek if others were experiencing this. I was already aware that some units were loosing support since I checked to verify if mine was fully supported on the cordcutternews site. 

I'm unsure if the newer model that hookup through the RCA cables are also experiencing this. If so then I will not buy another Roku for my bedroom, and will have to go another route maybe Android Media Box with rca hookups. 

Highlighted
aerobroken
Level 9

Re: YouTube not functioning since 9.2 update

Jump to solution

Same model unit 2720x and experiencing the same. Here's another thread of many others, and a trove of all of our information. We're all still trying to get a resolution to this YouTube issue. I've contacted that support via feedback many times already. I'm also connecting my unit via the RCA cables since I have no HDMI. If it's not resolved I'll have no other choice being a YouTube Premium paying subscriber to go some other way to get youtube on that setup. Maybe an Android Media Box with AV RCA hookups since that Televsion is there and works perfect and it also used with many other devices mainly for older gaming consoles, and dvds, and such.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YOUTUBE-screen-is-so-big-it-does-not-fit-my-T...

Highlighted
Ellenpa2000
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes same here. Useless.  I can't watch anything on YouTube via Roku.  Time for Roku and YouTube to FIX IT!!! YOU ARE LOSING OUR BUSINESS!!! All other interfaces and cgannels work fine... 

Highlighted
neotaeo
Level 7

Re: YouTube not functioning since 9.2 update

Jump to solution

Im not sure if it is the newest update or not, but my youtube app isn't working either. Well, it workes, but its unusable as you can see in the image. I've changed resolution on the roku itself, reset the app, EVERYTHING else plays normal, it's just youtube. I don't get it.1229190057.jpg

Highlighted
TVtower2
Level 9

Jump to solution

Possible Fix?  If possible with your equipment, please try this to see if what I did can be duplicated.  I read on the other screen too big thread that the HDMI port on the Roku 1 works normally with YouTube.  So, this morning I connected my Roku 1 to a TV set with an HDMI input with an HDMI cable.  Sure enough, YouTube was normal.  Then, I hooked up the composite video/audio via the RCA jacks from the Roku 1 to the RCA inputs on the TV.  I left the HDMI cable hooked up also, but switched the TV to use the RCA jack composite inputs.  Whoa!  YouTube was normal sized again.  I then unplugged the HDMI cable completely and the picture stayed normal using the Roku 1 RCA jacks.

Give this a try if you have a TV with both HDMI and composite RCA inputs and see what happens.