Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomral
Reel Rookie

YOUTUBE TV DVR hangs on playback

The channel, YouTube TV DVR playback hangs (a circling ring) when playing back certain recordings, not all recordings, when accessed through Roku Express on a Samsung TV. I have a Sharp Roku TV, on which I am able to playback the same recording. The same show playback also works on Windows computer and Android devices.

I have tried to remove the YouTube TV channel, restart Roku, and add back the YouTube TV channel. This didn't work.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: YOUTUBE TV DVR hangs on playback

YouTube TV stores DVR recordings in the cloud. Your Roku has nothing to do with it. I use YouTube TV. It’s most likely a bad recording. What was it you recorded? Most movies and shows are also available on demand. It’s not a Roku issue. Google makes the YouTube TV channel. The fact that removing the channel and re adding it explains it’s not a Roku issue. If it was a sports recording you may not be able to watch it on demand. 

0 Kudos
tomral
Reel Rookie

I ended up powering off the tv and my Roku express for a few minutes. I was finally able to view the DVR recording, which was the the latest episode of NCIS-Hawaii.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@tomral  That is also available on demand. Only advantage of DVR is being is being able to FF through commercials 

0 Kudos
alan_j

I have like issue. I have two HDTVs. A Samsung with Roku Express 4K and Vizio VO37L with Roku Express.

Same YouTube TV Library accessing both. All recording play without issue w/ Samsung setup. Not all play with Vizio setup, but some due. Otherwise get the spinning circle. The issue is not a bad recording since I can play the recording on Samsung setup. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@alan_j

Thanks for the post.

There could be a variety of factors that could be causing this issue. For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried switching the devices and the TVs that they are connected to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jm36

I am having the same issue. I have a Roku express on one tv, and an older Roku 3 on another tv. On the Roku express, dvr recordings on YouTube TV will not play, I get a spinning circle. The same recordings work fine on the Roku 3. I have tried the following:

• Uninstalling, reinstalling the YouTube TV app
  • Updating the YouTube TV app and the Roku Express to the latest software versions
  • Switching the Roku's from one tv to another (the issue stayed with the Roku Express)
  • Logging out of the YouTube TV app, logging back in
  • Powering the Roku Express off and on.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @jm36

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing YouTube TV? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Dptv

I have the similar issue on brand new roku express. Watching recorded football game on YouTubeTV. Fast forward suddenly causes loading spinning circke forever. Exit out and restart playback is sometimes successful. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Dptv

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

The issue you are experiencing may be related this this Community thread here.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos