Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Xfinity Stream Beta channel will not add

Jump to solution

The Xfinity Stream Beta channel is marked installed in my online account but I don't see it when I am using my Roku box.  Then I try and add the channel via my box and it gives me an error it could not add it.  Why does it not come up when it is marked installed in my online profile and then still won't add it via the box.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Xfinity Stream Beta channel will not add

Jump to solution

Reference: https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004909567-For-Roku

The "XFINITY Stream Beta" channel works on these Roku devices:

• Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range)
  • Streaming Stick (3800, 3600)
  • Streaming Stick+ (3810)
  • Express (3900, 3700)
  • Express+ (3910, 3710)
  • Premiere (4620)
  • Premiere+ (4630)
  • Ultra (4660, 4640)
  • Roku 4 (4400)
  • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
  • Roku 2 (4210)

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

What model (number, not name) Roku do you have? Many channels will only be installed on the newer models. If you installed it from the web site, but it's not appearing on the Roku, that is the likely reason.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It is the Roku SE which I can't even find mention on the website in many places.  When I look on the bottom of the device it says model: 2710X.  Xfinity says it needs to be firmware 8.1 or higher and my Roku says it currently has version 9.2.

I bought it a while back because it had HDMI and composite video connections so I could use it on TVs that I didn't have wired connections and it was new in the box.  I am trying to save $10 a month and replace my xfinity rental box.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@ER wrote:

It is the Roku SE which I can't even find mention on the website in many places.  When I look on the bottom of the device it says model: 2710X.  Xfinity says it needs to be firmware 8.1 or higher and my Roku says it currently has version 9.2.

I bought it a while back because it had HDMI and composite video connections so I could use it on TVs that I didn't have wired connections and it was new in the box.  I am trying to save $10 a month and replace my xfinity rental box.

Thanks.

The Roku SE, also known as the Roku 1, was released in Sep 2013. According to Roku documentation, it is still considered a supported player by themselves. But that doesn't mean the Xfinity channel is supported on it. Yes, it has firmware 9.2, but it doesn't have accelerated graphics, and it has a very old CPU. Only Comcast can say for sure, but I would not be surprised if that player isn't supported with the Xfinity channel.

As I said, it's a pretty old player in terms of electronics lifetime. To be honest, a new Premiere player is $40 from Roku, and often on sale for less elsewhere. Compared to the cost of your rental box, it would pay for itself in no more than 4 months. The Roku Express is only $30, but some people have had issues getting connected to their networks with the Express. Plus, for the extra $10 you have a player capable of 4K/HDR, which the Express can't do. I see my local Best Buy has all Roku models in stock, so it might not be an issue actually getting one. With everyone home bound right now, streaming players have been in high demand. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I had never used it.  It was sitting new in the box and it got shoved in a closet and forgotten about until I learned about Xfinity having an app that would give me all the functionality of my box except for the apps of which many are on the Roku.

So maybe it is too old for Xfinity, will have to verify, but another issue has come while trying to use it for other apps.  I was simply trying the TBS app and it can;t go more than 30 seconds without stopping and seeing a "loading" screen and then the app has crashed several times.  It seems you are a fairly seasoned user so I figured I'd ask.  Does this Roku just suck?  Is it just the TBS app?  Is it just too old to stream anything without issues?  Maybe it can't handle the newer TV streams?

Then I try to use the comedy central channel and it doesn't even list xfinity as a provider?  It's only the biggest cable provider on practically the planet.  Don't understand that.

Then I tried cartoon network and got it to validate with xfinity but then the app froze.  So I exited and went back in.  Seemed okay, but just painfully slow to load.  Once the stream started it seemed better than TBS with a few occasional loading blips.

I don't mind making an investment, but what I do mind is wasting my time dealing with something that is just going to royally aggravate me.  I'm new to the whole Roku thing, so I figured I'd get the opinion of a seasoned user.  I'd like a device that will seamlessly work navigating without a lot of lag and wasting time.  The Roku is even in the same room as the router.  Do I need a dual band Roku, will some channels just not work as well as others, what would your recommendations be?  Would a premiere work well enough and is this Roku okay to use for some items (even though having some issues and won't work for xfinity) or is it not worth my time and effort.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Yes, I believe it's simply the age and lack of power with the Roku LT at the root of your issues. I have the original Ultra, released in Oct 2016. It is still almost equal to the latest boxes, and a huge step up from what you have. I also have the latest version of the Premiere, and it's in my suitcase for when I travel (as soon as this lockdown ends). I have a 3 year old Sharp Roku 4K TV that still runs everything perfectly, and even my older Stick is working fine on my grandson's bedroom TV. It's just that Roku made a substantial improvement in all their hardware right around 2015, and it really shows with the latest channels. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies.  I had better luck with some of the other channels and the live functionality on TBS seemed to work fine, but watching any of the shows on TBS just wouldn't stream without constant interruptions for loading.  So it seems it depends on the channel.

I appreciate the help and advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Reference: https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004909567-For-Roku

The "XFINITY Stream Beta" channel works on these Roku devices:

• Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range)
  • Streaming Stick (3800, 3600)
  • Streaming Stick+ (3810)
  • Express (3900, 3700)
  • Express+ (3910, 3710)
  • Premiere (4620)
  • Premiere+ (4630)
  • Ultra (4660, 4640)
  • Roku 4 (4400)
  • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
  • Roku 2 (4210)

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The App appears in my store but will not load.  The Article says if it appears it should work.  Please help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Spikerpup wrote:

The App appears in my store but will not load.  The Article says if it appears it should work.  Please help.

What model number of Roku player do you have? 

Dan
0 Kudos