Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xfinity Beta on ROKU

My ROKU Express (less than a month old) was working fine.  Today I saw someone say that you could cast your cell phone screen to your TV thru ROKU.  I had to download a cell phone APP, and it worked fine.  Then when I tried to go back to Xfinity Beta, it would not work.  I deleted the app from my cell phone.  I changed a ROKU setting to not allow my cell phone to cast the screen to the ROKU/TV.  I did a ROKU factory reset several times, unplugged the ROKU then plugged it back in.  I did a restart of my modem.  Other ROKUs work fine, other APPs (Prime/HULU/Netflix) on the problem ROKU work fine.  Xfinity Beta still does not work only on problem ROKU.  Error I am getting is "error createdrmsession.403-102".   I saw this error on older posts but not recently.  I am running out of ideas.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.  Phil.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Xfinity Beta on ROKU

"conroypcomcastnet" wrote:
My ROKU Express (less than a month old) was working fine.  Today I saw someone say that you could cast your cell phone screen to your TV thru ROKU.  I had to download a cell phone APP, and it worked fine.  Then when I tried to go back to Xfinity Beta, it would not work.  I deleted the app from my cell phone.  I changed a ROKU setting to not allow my cell phone to cast the screen to the ROKU/TV.  I did a ROKU factory reset several times, unplugged the ROKU then plugged it back in.  I did a restart of my modem.  Other ROKUs work fine, other APPs (Prime/HULU/Netflix) on the problem ROKU work fine.  Xfinity Beta still does not work only on problem ROKU.  Error I am getting is "error createdrmsession.403-102".   I saw this error on older posts but not recently.  I am running out of ideas.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.  Phil.

I really don’t think the casting had anything to do with it. I think that’s coincidental.

One thing: you mentioned factory reset and unplugging the Roku in the same sentence. You aren’t thinking one has anything to to with the other, are you?

An actual factory reset via the menu system should be good enough to clear out any problem with the app.

Try unlinking the Express via https://my.roku.com then do a factory reset via the menu system.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos

DBDukes - I appreciate the ideas.  I unlinked my problem ROKU device on my ROKU account, then did a factory reset.  L\Then linked the ROKU, then entered the code for authorizing the Comcast Beta app.  Still the same error message.  In trying to find a resolution for my problem, I saw a post that said that after the app is not in BETA Comcast will charge for each ROKU connection.  In BETA testing they have waived charges for the ROKU devices.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note here! 

You'll definitely want to contact Xfinity Support for help with both their mobile app and Roku channel (app). Many channels on Roku are built and maintained by the service provider themselves, and they'll be able to best assist with any issues you might run into within their channel.

You can reach Xfinity support here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/

Let us know if you have any other questions we can assist with! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Each channel on Roku is built and maintained by the service provider themselves

Except for the myriad of channels that use Direct Publisher and are 100% coded by Roku, the channels created by Roku employees or contractors, and the numerous channels that are nothing more than Roku written samples with slight modifications.

Why must this myth persist? Oh, it makes it easier to pass the buck. The service - yes that's the responsibility of the provider. But to say "Each channel on Roku is built by the service provider" is a flat out lie.

-JT
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note. Clarification/correction - 'Many' channels. 

In this case, Xfinity develops their channel for the Roku platform and would be able to best assist with any issues a user is running into. 

As a first step, we always recommend trying to remove the channel from the Roku home screen, restart your device, then add the channel back once more to see if this helps clear up any issue you come across. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

I did delete the channel.   Turned off the Roku device, then add the channel back in.  Still same issue.  Funny whatever I did on my problem Roku seems to affect the other Roku devices that I have.  Several times I had to re-authorize Xfinity Beta on my other devices.  I didn't think trying to set up one device would affect the other devices.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Channels are installed to your account, not a specific player. If you uninstalled then reinstalled on one, and the others don't check for updates during that time, they should be left alone. But if they update themselves while you have that channel uninstalled, they will be removed from the other devices as well. That's a good/bad thing with Roku players. Good in that once you've installed a channel on one device, it will appear on all the rest automatically. Just need to configure any logins necessary, as those are saved per device. Bad in that you remove it from one, it's removed from all. The only way around that is to have different Roku accounts for each player, but then you lose the good side of it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Channels are installed to your account, not a specific player. If you uninstalled then reinstalled on one, and the others don't check for updates during that time, they should be left alone. But if they update themselves while you have that channel uninstalled, they will be removed from the other devices as well. That's a good/bad thing with Roku players. Good in that once you've installed a channel on one device, it will appear on all the rest automatically. Just need to configure any logins necessary, as those are saved per device. Bad in that you remove it from one, it's removed from all. The only way around that is to have different Roku accounts for each player, but then you lose the good side of it. 

Not meaning to get sidetracked, but I've noticed something after I got the 9.0 upgrade -- implying this is new as of 9.0, but it may pre-date -- when I added or removed an app from one Roku device, it removed it from the other devices right then. That is, I added an app to one device, went to another and lo, and behold, there it was. Then I removed the app from one, went directly to the other, and it was gone. So, unless I was experiencing some fluke, Roku now adds or removes from connected devices right then. When would wreak havoc on trying to remove/reinstall from one device, if it logged out of others.

I've not mentioned this before, but what you just said triggered it, so you might want to check and see if you experience the same thing.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos

After trying to reset Comcast Beta on my Roku maybe 5 days in a row , I reset it the 6th day and it set up fine. Not sure why I had so much trouble setting it up. Thanks for all the help.
0 Kudos