Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Wrong Geolocation

For some reason, I am no longer recieving my local news networks. For example, using the NBC app I was trying to watch my local news. I am located in Indiana, but it keeps showing me a St. Louis area NBC affiliate. I tried checking the ip address, and it is still set up for Indiana. So I am very frustrated, any help or ideas would be awesome!
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Wrong Geolocation

I am having the same issue. I am in Iowa, but it thinks I am in Arizona and I am getting Phoenix local channels instead of my own. Did you ever resolve this and if so, How?  I have my correct information in my roku account. this started a couple of days ago. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

The original poster only posted that one post a month ago and is gone most likely.

Are you using a router?

You need to determine your IP address.

I think you should contact your internet provider and tell them you want a local IP address. Its easier that way. They probably did something screwy like change your DNS server.

If you are using a VPN that could also be the problem.

But they will help you Im sure.

If not Let us know.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did contact them. They were not helpful at all and told me the problem was with the roku. It is very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Well what channels are you trying to get?

Like Local news and stations?

It might be easier to use a digital antenna and just switch over when wanted on the tv.

Its kinda technical to get a new IP address which is what you need most likely.

I use an antenna occasionally. They have indoor and outdoor.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That last reply certainly was NOT helpful!  "Go get an antenna". That defeats the purpose of the ROKU programming services!  An antenna does not always have good reception due to many meteorological interferences!  So please provide a realistic solution!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I had a similar problem. I went and restarted my Roku and the problem cleared up. Sometimes, when there's a playback problem, I've done this and that's all that's needed to clear up the problem. I think of it as clearing the cache for the Roku. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But until you try, you won't know.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My OTA won't receive ABC, so I use Locast. But Locast is accessed via Roku, and Locast insists that I am in Boston on two different brands of TV (older Vizio and new Samsung). I am on the West Coast. On my laptop, Locast and Roku correctly identify me in the correct city.

I need somehow to have ROKU identify me in the correct city, please!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

You can set the City by going to Settings within Locast at the top of screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Oh that it were so. I can change City location to Los Angeles, but the Boston bug doesnt go away. My selection brings up local LA lineup. but when I choose a station to watch,  "You can only watch your local broadcast stations. Please choose your city to watch live TV" displays. Don't know how to post screen shots here.

0 Kudos