Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

But you have to pay extra for HBO Max through Hulu....I already have it with my phone provider and the Roku does not have an app for HBO Max to login to my account.  When is Roku adding that app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but HBO Max on Hulu is basically HBO Now. You do not get any exclusive programming that HBO Max features. Shows like Friends, Search Party and Dr. Who, which are on HBO Max exclusively, are not available via Hulu even with HBO Max subscription. I literally cancelled my $14.99 HBO Max app subscription and added the $14.99 “HBO Max” add-on to Hulu, only to find out its the same content as HBO Now. You’re better off keeping your HBO Max app on your phone, and waiting for them to come to an agreement with Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HBO Max work around

Obviously waiting for Roku management to get its act together to make a deal for HBO Max and Peacock has become an exercise in futility. It just doesn't appear to be happening any time soon and HBO Go will be gone in a day. I know in theory I can add HBO Max via Amazon Prime or Hulu but I'm already paying for HBO Max via my cable subscription and don't want to pay twice for the same thing. 

Has anyone come up with a working solution like mirroring the app from my iPad or Android phone? If so, how? I've tried a few things I saw online, but nothing has worked so far and I'm getting really frustrated. I don't like the idea of only being able to access these services only through the small screens of my computer, phone or tablet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That is just not acceptable!  I have been a loyal Roku user since it first appeared in the marketplace. In the past I have recommended Roku to many of my friends. I live on a fixed income & the fact that a solution couldn’t be reached and the “solution” will cost me more money is not the way it should be. It should be available as a channel just like HBOGO. I subscribe to HBO through my cable account. The powers that be should each compromise to provide uninterrupted service to its subscribers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max work around

I just cast HBO Max from my computer or tablet over chrome cast.

Highlighted
Level 8

@irazig wrote:

That is just not acceptable!  I have been a loyal Roku user since it first appeared in the marketplace. In the past I have recommended Roku to many of my friends. I live on a fixed income & the fact that a solution couldn’t be reached and the “solution” will cost me more money is not the way it should be. It should be available as a channel just like HBOGO. I subscribe to HBO through my cable account. The powers that be should each compromise to provide uninterrupted service to its subscribers. 

Roku and Amazon (firestick), realized that by selling these little inexpensive devices, and developing great organizing software, that someday they'd be able to extract cash from the content providers.  They're now doing that.  With 70% control of the streaming market- Roku and Amazon have a lot of power right now.  

For me- I get my internet service via Xfinity.  They sent me a free "Xfinity Flex" box (which does have the HBO Max app).  Now I understand why the 4K streaming box and remote were free.  Comcast too, realized that owning the streaming tool is a potential way to extract more cash from the content providers.  I also get Peacock on it.  So- guess I'll plug in that free box now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Sure- I can buy HBO for $15/mo via the Roku channel, but I'm already paying for HBO through my AT&T TV Now Streaming service package.  How do I stream what I'm already paying for?

Why can't you use the HBO Now app?  That's what I use...

After today one cannot use HBO GO on Roku. You can still use HBO NOW, however. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@morey000 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Sure- I can buy HBO for $15/mo via the Roku channel, but I'm already paying for HBO through my AT&T TV Now Streaming service package.  How do I stream what I'm already paying for?

Because the HBO Now app isn't available for Roku.  (I can use it on my mac, iphone, pc... just not on my TV which uses a Roku stick.)

I presume that HBO is going to work this out with Amazon (firestick) and Roku- which together, represent 70% of the streaming devices in use.  There are billions of dollars at stake here- and all the companies are playing chicken.  Right now- it's probably worth more money to HBO than to amazon/roku... so, they're going to need to pay.  

HBO NOW IS available on Roku, HBO Max is not. HBO Go is not available on Roku starting today. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@C_I wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Because the HBO Now app isn't available for Roku.  (I can use it on my mac, iphone, pc... just not on my TV which uses a Roku stick.)

I presume that HBO is going to work this out with Amazon (firestick) and Roku- which together, represent 70% of the streaming devices in use.  There are billions of dollars at stake here- and all the companies are playing chicken.  Right now- it's probably worth more money to HBO than to amazon/roku... so, they're going to need to pay.  

HBO NOW IS available on Roku, HBO Max is not. HBO Go is not available on Roku starting today. 

Actually, HBO Go is still *technically* available on Roku today.  If Roku was the company deciding to block HBO Go then it should be removed today.  There have been other Roku apps that have been replaced with stub icons that indicate the app has been removed and will no longer function.  That still has not happen with HBO Go.  Roku has done nothing to block HBO Go.

In fact, the active hbogo web page is still working.  You can get an activation code from the Roku app and put it into the activation page and it will proceed to letting you choose a provider.  Try it for yourself!

What changed today isn't under Roku's control at all--the change is on the list of providers accepted for activation.  AT&T/HBO still has a *long* list of *small* providers/universities that they are still leaving HBO Go running for.  The banning of HBO Go customers with larger cable providers is a policy choice made completely by AT&T/HBO.  They are the ones that control the HBO Go activation web page and removed the providers from the list for the majority of us.

But technically, the HBO Go app is still on Roku, it still can work for select providers and AT&T/HBO is still paying to keep the HBO Go infrastructure running!  AT&T is using *our* money paid to them to keep those HBO Go server running but no longer giving us access to them!

Oh, and there is still that "little" issue that not all cable providers can be used to activate HBO Max today either.  So even if we all rushed out to get alternative to Roku, not all of us that used HBO Go can continue to get what we are paying for without paying an additional $14.99 above and beyond what we pay to HBO via our cable providers.

This is not Roku being unfair to AT&T or blocking HBO.  This is AT&T/HBO being horrifically nasty to their own customers.

Highlighted
Level 11

@fluke wrote:

@C_I wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Actually, HBO Go is still *technically* available on Roku today.  If Roku was the company deciding to block HBO Go then it should be removed today.  There have been other Roku apps that have been replaced with stub icons that indicate the app has been removed and will no longer function.  That still has not happen with HBO Go.  Roku has done nothing to block HBO Go.

In fact, the active hbogo web page is still working.  You can get an activation code from the Roku app and put it into the activation page and it will proceed to letting you choose a provider.  Try it for yourself!

What changed today isn't under Roku's control at all--the change is on the list of providers accepted for activation.  AT&T/HBO still has a *long* list of *small* providers/universities that they are still leaving HBO Go running for.  The banning of HBO Go customers with larger cable providers is a policy choice made completely by AT&T/HBO.  They are the ones that control the HBO Go activation web page and removed the providers from the list for the majority of us.

But technically, the HBO Go app is still on Roku, it still can work for select providers and AT&T/HBO is still paying to keep the HBO Go infrastructure running!  AT&T is using *our* money paid to them to keep those HBO Go server running but no longer giving us access to them!

Oh, and there is still that "little" issue that not all cable providers can be used to activate HBO Max today either.  So even if we all rushed out to get alternative to Roku, not all of us that used HBO Go can continue to get what we are paying for without paying an additional $14.99 above and beyond what we pay to HBO via our cable providers.

This is not Roku being unfair to AT&T or blocking HBO.  This is AT&T/HBO being horrifically nasty to their own customers.

Technically, it is not. per the app :"HBO GO will no longer be available on this device starting July 31,2020(today). Contact HBO GO support for additional ways to access. HBO." Now, HBO NOW does charge $14.99 a month. and is specifically for people who don't have an HBO subscription though their cable provider. But HBO GO only required you to have an HBO  subscription through your cable provider, and you had to login to the app with your cable provider in order to access it.  Just for giggles, lets see if I can install it and run it. You can add it through a 'private channel add which you have to punch in a numerical code.  When you install it and try to run it, it says "HBO Go IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE  HBO GO has discontinued the HBO GO app. Explore other ways to watch HBO content on Roku,  AT&T TV, Xfinity , Spectrum, or HBO the Roku Channel. "

0 Kudos