Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

Word on the street is we won't need the workaround too much longer!  Has anyone else heard rumblings of a deal?

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Bigbeefy666 wrote:

Word on the street is we won't need the workaround too much longer!  Has anyone else heard rumblings of a deal?

Matthew Keys' blog, The Desk, seems to be suggesting that HBO MAX appearing on Roku.  However, the reasoning in his article had what appeared to me to be some flawed reasoning as to why.

I personally think we are waiting until around the third week of December.  It might be sooner and I hope it is.  But I my gut tells me the pressure will reach it's peak to the point of forcing a solution at that point.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@Bigbeefy666 wrote:

Matthew Keys' blog, The Desk, seems to be suggesting that HBO MAX appearing on Roku.  However, the reasoning in his article had what appeared to me to be some flawed reasoning as to why.

I personally think we are waiting until around the third week of December.  It might be sooner and I hope it is.  But I my gut tells me the pressure will reach it's peak to the point of forcing a solution at that point.

I tend to agree. HBO is committed to the idea that Roku will cave, but the only reason for Roku to cave is if sales are seriously down from what they expected. Since Roku hasn't caved yet, that probably isn't the case, so this will end when HBO realizes they've lost their bet.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

I needed a new tv for my bedroom so I bought a Samsung for $150 that streams HBO MAX. I purchased a Firestick Lite fir my other tv for $17.99 that is able stream Max. I was unwilling to wait and I wanted to make sure that I had devices from companies that were flexible and able to reach deals. I’m not saying I will never buy ROKU again, but they lost a customer for now. I was unwilling to be caught up in both companies game. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

This no longer works on Roku. HBO now app is no longer available. Any other tricks?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

No sure how you got fire stick to work. I have a tv with fire stick built in. And hbo max won’t work by casting and the don’t offer a hbo max app for fire stick. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@mattwilk123 wrote:

This no longer works on Roku. HBO now app is no longer available. Any other tricks?

HBO renamed the "HBO Now" channel to just "HBO". It works with "HBO Max" login credentials, but does not offer the entire spectrum of HBO programming. But the HBO channel itself is still in the Roku channel store. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@mattwilk123 wrote:

No sure how you got fire stick to work. I have a tv with fire stick built in. And hbo max won’t work by casting and the don’t offer a hbo max app for fire stick. 

Actually, Amazon has reached an agreement with HBO and HBO Max is supposed to be available on Fire TV devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

How can I get HBO Max app

@DrewNJ wrote:

It was suggested that I repost this workaround with more clear steps.

1) Access Hbo Max from another device like tablet or computer.  

2) Create a new account if you don’t already have one.  Authenticate with your cable or other provider.  Add your email address and set a password for HBO Max.  

3) By default no password is set when you create an account.  Access your profile, goto settings, then account settings.  It’s on this page under account settings that you will see your email address and be able to set a password.

4) Download the Hbo app (formerly called Hbo Now) to your Roku.  

5) You can now use your email address and that new password to access Hbo Now (which has been rebranded simply as Hbo) on Roku.  

It won’t have the Max content, but you will still have all the Hbo only content just like the old Hbo Go app on Roku had.  Only problem I have found is the lists you create for yourself on Max do not come across to the Hbo app.

on my ruku tv

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Two Words

Air Play

I had HBO Max since they first came out with it and I was so frustrated. I called their customer care and was told to just be patient. Eventually I canceled HBO Max because every call ended the same way HBO Max isn’t available on Roku yet BUT ...

Roku Ultra Just added Air Play.

SO ...

As soon as I added Air Play every website with video from YouTube to Daily Motion had a new option to play the video from my iPhone to my Roku Air Play

I signed up for a new trial to test out my idea about this work around.

And it worked.

Ps when I first got my Roku it was the old Roku Express which I’m not sure allows this work around. Luckily there is a workaround for this too.

I kept my eye out for the latest model of Roku Ultra and EBay and found one for half the price of a new one. So I put my old Roku on EBay and was able to get the Roku Ultra for 50$ and sold my Roku for 20$. 

So the work around is this. If you have a iPhone download HBO Max app. If you have Roku Ultra make sure your IPhone is updated to the latest update and then set up Air Play on Roku Ultra. (Make sure you update Roku to latest update as well. )

sign up for your free HBO Max trial. Sign in. Go to a show including exclusive Max content and play your favorite show on your iPhone. Once it’s playing hit the Air Play icon in the app. That’s it. You should now see your show on your tv.  

0 Kudos