Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barra0cv
Level 7

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

Check out this article on this website. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/category/news   As far as i can tell by this article, hbo max  in all of its glory, will be available on the amazon prime//roku app..

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@barra0cv wrote:

Check out this article on this website. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/category/news   As far as i can tell by this article, hbo max  in all of its glory, will be available on the amazon prime//roku app..

Yes, but ...

Cordcuttersnews wrote:
Those who are already subscribed to HBO through Amazon Prime Channels will be able to log in to the HBO Max app with their Amazon credentials at no additional cost.

Why would someone take the time to log in to the HBO Max app if they can already view everything via the Amazon Prime Video app?  I think it is implied by the article that the reason is because they can not see all of HBO Max via the Prime app.

It is an indication that AT&T/WarnerMedia/HBO is looking to expand availabilty across more streaming devices.  This is a good sign that support for Roku is just around the corner.  But in the short terms I don't think this changes anything.  You could buy HBO Max app login access through Hulu or YouTube TV or Apple TV Channels already.  This is just another digital subscription provider, not HBO Max content aggragated through another app.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
barra0cv
Level 7

Jump to solution

you are right,thankyou........

0 Kudos
painkiller68
Level 9

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@barra0cv wrote:

Yes, but ...

Cordcuttersnews wrote:
Those who are already subscribed to HBO through Amazon Prime Channels will be able to log in to the HBO Max app with their Amazon credentials at no additional cost.

Why would someone take the time to log in to the HBO Max app if they can already view everything via the Amazon Prime Video app?  I think it is implied by the article that the reason is because they can not see all of HBO Max via the Prime app.

It is an indication that AT&T/WarnerMedia/HBO is looking to expand availabilty across more streaming devices.  This is a good sign that support for Roku is just around the corner.  But in the short terms I don't think this changes anything.  You could buy HBO Max app login access through Hulu or YouTube TV or Apple TV Channels already.  This is just another digital subscription provider, not HBO Max content aggragated through another app.  Smiley Sad

You can get HBO Max through various services just like other cable channels.  So it being available through Amazon Prime is not a surprise.   The separate app being available tomorrow for the Fire stick is a big step forward.  Roku has to be soon as well.   Insane it's taken this long.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@barra0cv wrote:

Yes, but ...

Cordcuttersnews wrote:

This is still AT&T. Even as they come to an agreement with one of the two biggest OTT streamers they have to make it a complicated and convoluted access option mess over simplicity. But, Amazon played a part as well. I guess Amazon really didn't want to give up those 5 million HBO subscribers through Prime Channels.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Brownk3
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, not quite.  The screen says HBO/HBO Max, but the content is just HBO, i.e. no Raised by Wolves.  

0 Kudos
jlanzy
Level 9

Jump to solution

It is a bit ironic that the recent Roku update for airplay is only available on 4K roku players so we can cast non 4K hbo max!

0 Kudos
Maddog2020
Level 7

Jump to solution

I subscribe to HBO on Amazon Prime on my Roku, and received an email from Amazon Prime that my account had been updated and now have access to HBOMax content through the HBO app on Amazon.  Absolutely sucks.  You have to go into your HBO app on your Amazon Prime app and then there is a box in the HBO app that says "click this to gain access HBOMax content here".  You click on it and you want to talk about a cluster?? There is no rhyme or reason to the content listed, nothing is categorized by genre, and there is no search option within the HBOMax content.  I spent 30 minutes last night just trying to scroll through the content to find any of HBOMax's original content. Found NOTHING!! In fact everything on the so called HBOMax app looked identical to what I already get on the HBO app.  I jumped on this forum to see if there was anything I was missing, apparently not.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Maddog2020 wrote:

I subscribe to HBO on Amazon Prime on my Roku, and received an email from Amazon Prime that my account had been updated and now have access to HBOMax content through the HBO app on Amazon.  In fact everything on the so called HBOMax app looked identical to what I already get on the HBO app.  I jumped on this forum to see if there was anything I was missing, apparently not.

You will still only be able to access HBO linear content while on a Roku device. If you were on an Amazon Fire TV device you could use your Prime Channel subscription to authenticate with the standalone HBO Max app and then you would have access to all of the additional MAX content. Until Roku and AT&T come to an agreement you will not have access to the full catalog of HBO Max on a Roku device.

The good news is that there are reports today that a deal may be very close.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

Roku, HBO Max Reportedly Near Distribution Deal 

0 Kudos