Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max issue SOLVED!!!!

Jump to solution

@clfelectro wrote:

Roku won't carry the HBO Max app even though ATT has it ready to go.  Roku being greedy it seems and messing up my streaming.

Solution is so easy!  Don't buy Roku. Throw away if you have one. Get Android TV and install whatever you want from Google Play store.  Problem solved. Free your streaming from the tyranny of Roku!

It takes both sides to negotiate, and HBO Max has not come to agreement with either Roku or Amazon Fire products, the two largest in the streaming industry.  Why do you assume it is Roku being the greedy one?  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
rutahill
Level 8

Jump to solution

Do you sell them?  This sounds like someone advertising. I like roku. But I do want access to HBOMAX. 

FYI - it’s not Roku. It’s HBO holding up the deal. 

clfelectro
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't sell anything.  I'm a pissed off roku owner (I have both roku and firestick plugged into my tv, but primarily use ruke because I like the interface better).

How come ATT has the app on google play then?  I am tracking the issue as both Roku and FireTV want to add HBO Max to their "channel" services, which is similar to how an above post mentioned it being able to be accessed through Hulu.

I hate the channel interface.  They want it because it helps their platforms, but they don't make Apps like Netflix go through it.

I acknowledge that I don't know that first hand, and I just read it in an article, and it may be completely untrue as the root cause of the disagreement.  However, it also sounds logical, and its odd that HBO Max is available on Google Play store if they are completely unreasonable.  What does Roku require of other Apps on the service, and is HBO Max getting the same deal?  If so, then I agree ATT needs to quit being a B#!@%^, but if Roku and FIreTV are treating them any differently, such as not being willing to carry their native app under the same terms as other apps like Netflix and Hulu, then those platforms are screwing with my streaming.

Iona-D
Level 14

Jump to solution

At my own home, I have a different set up from the beginning of my streaming journey.  I use Chromcast & Roku for different access requirements.  Yes, there is overlap, the results are still the same.  No 1 device offers everything I want to watch.

Problem solved..

OddApple
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

Yeah this works, but you are only getting HBO. I did this and immediately canceled because there was no way to watch the other channels. #fail 

0 Kudos
Deathgun931
Level 7

Jump to solution

That’s a lie did that can’t watch friends or Big Bang theory so your just telling everyone shot they already knew you could do to watch shorty shows and movies like game of thrones and joker so no need to add it especially coming from a liar like you 

js78045
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's not all of HBO Max's content: only HBO. So no, this is neither the same thing nor is it a solution.

NOT SOLVED

StreamCrosser
Level 8

Jump to solution

So throw something out that I've already paid for and that has everything else that I stream just because one service is unwilling to negotiate?

Nah.

mrcpuhead
Level 8

Jump to solution

How does anyone on this community know for certain which party is holding up the deal...Roku or AT&T? As I've posted before, based on past experience with AT&T, I'm sure they're at least partly to blame. But from what I've learned about Roku I suspect they are also sharing that blame. 

StreamCrosser
Level 8

Jump to solution

If it was just Roku that they weren't on, fine I'd be inclined to believe that Roku was the issue. But considering they launched unavailable on the 2 largest streaming platforms then it seems most likely an AT&T issue.