Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryKC
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

Jump to solution

Hulu does NOT offer HBO Max. It's HBO Now. No South Park, Friends, Big Bang Theory (just to name a few) offered through Hulu's supposed HBOMax.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@GaryKC wrote:

Hulu does NOT offer HBO Max. It's HBO Now. No South Park, Friends, Big Bang Theory (just to name a few) offered through Hulu's supposed HBOMax.

Hulu app does not offer access to HBO Max.

But Hulu login can be used to access the HBO Max app.  They are listed as a supported digital subscription providers.

The same situation is true with YouTube TV.

You can get YouTube TV on Roku but you can't access HBO Max content in the YouTube TV app, only HBO (previous HBO Now).

But the YouTube TV login can be used on the HBO Max app.

Right now the HBO Max app and it's content can only be mirrored to Roku.  Installing the app and logging in must be performed on a different device that support MiraCast or AirPlay 2.

It is messy and confusing.  The lines of what is HBO, what is HBO Max, and who is providing access to what seem to be arbitarily tossed around like a game of pick-up sticks.

coolsharky
Level 9

Jump to solution

Imagine how simple it would have been if WarnerMedia had just renamed HBO Now to HBO, and renamed HBO GO to HBO MAX. There was no reason to get rid of HBO GO. They could have just redesigned it and called it HBO Max.

0 Kudos
Brownk3
Level 7

Jump to solution

I need help to do this.  I'm on a MacBook Pro (circa 2025) running macOS Catalina.  I already have the HBO Max app on it.  If I want to set up mirroring, exactly which app do I need to use?  Can a not to tech sophisticated dinosaur figure out how to do this.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Brownk3 wrote:

I need help to do this.  I'm on a MacBook Pro (circa 2025) running macOS Catalina.  I already have the HBO Max app on it.  If I want to set up mirroring, exactly which app do I need to use?  Can a not to tech sophisticated dinosaur figure out how to do this.  

What Roku player/TV do you have? Need the precise model number, not just a name.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Brownk3
Level 7

Jump to solution

Model 4200x Roku streamer in the game room, but the one in the bedroom (an Express) doesn't seem to have a model number, just a serial number (YG0014758094).

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Brownk3 wrote:

Model 4200x Roku streamer in the game room, but the one in the bedroom (an Express) doesn't seem to have a model number, just a serial number (YG0014758094).

The Express will not get AirPlay, as it's not a 4K device. The 4200 is the Roku 3. It too will not get AirPlay, again as it's not a 4K device and also almost 8 years old. 

Dan

0 Kudos
proc
Level 7

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

Not a workaround for HBOMAX!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

@proc wrote:

Not a workaround for HBOMAX!

Screen-mirroring is so a workaround, and right now the only workaround to get Max on a Roku device. But yes, there is no other workaround, such as using Hulu. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Jmusich
Level 8

Airplay 2 and Mac devices playing HBO Max....

Jump to solution

Incredibly interesting that a workaround has come sort of for viewing HBOMax on some Roku devices. The device I am using happens to be one that will. With only seeing a reference somehow Roku, HBOMax and Apple all are a part of this. I find the arrangement pretty incredible. After updating the Roku it was relatively simple to get running. However, unless I am incorrectly using the process, with each movie or episode view. I suppose I should not complain because this is absolutely better than nothing. However what is the hold up for a full working app if some sort of behind the scenes agreement was made to put this in place if that is true ? Maybe it is the subscribers money that is shifting through the various entities to come to where we are now. I am deciding if I am more upset with the 1/2 fix then nothing as this gesture could be interpreted as a finger in the eye. Stay 1/2 tuned.

0 Kudos