Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

HBO Max on Roku

Jump to solution

OK, but is there any good way to wirelessly connect my laptop (MacBook Pro vintage 2025) or my cellphone (iPhone 7) to my TV?  

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: HBO Max on Roku

Jump to solution

@Brownk3 wrote:

OK, but is there any good way to wirelessly connect my laptop (MacBook Pro vintage 2025) or my cellphone (iPhone 7) to my TV?  

If you have a 4K capable Roku device, you can now use AirPlay to screen mirror your MacBook or iPhone to the Roku. That's going to be the simplest way for your devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Just buy a Google Chromecast $49 and never look back....Roku is dead.

https://store.google.com/us/config/chromecast_google_tv?sku=_chromecast_with_google_tv_snow&gclsrc=a...

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

USB port for external drives or it's dead to me.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku rocks! Pay attention Mr Chromecast is the best. This is HBO, Warner bull doo doo going on hurting Roku and Firestick customers and most likely themselves since those 2 streaming services are like 70% of streaming. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Margrave wrote:

USB port for external drives or it's dead to me.

Roku only offers a USB port on their top level player, as well as most Roku TVs. Prior to 2015, there were multiple players, but they dropped them all for cost reasons. But since Roku devices have such limited codec support, I find it far easier to use a DLNA server on my network and stream my media to every device in the house. If you connect your media directly to the Roku, that's the only device that can access them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Re: Getting HBO Max ap to work

Jump to solution

If it is a roku device, period, the only form of hbo that is available from roku app/channel store is plain old hbo. It use to be hbo now or hbo go. Now it is just hbo

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

Thanks so much!  Worked like a charm!!

0 Kudos

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

@jeffws wrote:

I would suggest that people be patient and wait for Warner and Roku to work things out. I read that they are close to a deal. Why limit your connection to Hulu or subscribe to it just to get Max? My humble opinion. Of course I am not an impatient young person who needs everything right now--though I remember those days! Also, if you have Amazon Fire TV you can get HBO Max using the Android app. Check out TechHive for details. I did it and have Max on Fire TV. It's all legal, and involves changing Fire settings to permit "unknown" apps (i.e. "Android" apps), then using the Downloader app to DL the Android HBO Max app.  Here's the URL: https://tinyurl.com/y7nrzmo7. This is real. If you don't trust my link, just google "how to get hbo max on amazon fire tv right now."

"Be patient. They're close." Here we are five months later with no progress. I think I've been patient long enough. 

0 Kudos

Re: Getting HBO Max ap to work

Jump to solution

you are not able to access the HBO Max content through the Hulu app the HBO Max content can only be accessed through the HBO Max app which is not currently offered on Roku

0 Kudos