Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 14

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

The "cast" support in the HBO Max app is for Chromecast, not DIAL (this is what allows casting in apps when no Chromecast-compatible device is present).

Roku's have DIAL & Miracast support, but no Chromecast - hence why HBO Max's Chromecast-only support wont work.

Its possible that when a HBO Max app for Roku is released, it will have DIAL support, and they will update their mobile device clients as well...

Regardless, you can always reach out to HBO and give them feedback/suggest that you want DIAL casting support in addition to Chromecast...

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this. It worked! I’m not concerned with hbo max - just wanted to get the regular hbo lineup back on the Roku so my kids could watch on the home tv. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Barsongs here. I have taken the steps suggested by @DrewNJ in my earlier post and my issue is now resolved.  I cancelled my HBONow through Roku subscription and started a new, direct subscription with HBOMax. I created a new account with a different email address since using the email address I had used for HBONow through Roku was rejected as already in use. When creating the new account a password was required as expected. My iPhone and iPad HBOMax apps now work just fine and will stream to Chromecast devices, and I can use my Roku3 and new Roku Ultra to view HBONow (now rebranded as “HBO”) as I had been previously. On my Roku devices, I simply logged out of my existing (but now cancelled) HBO account and logged back in with the new email and password credentials for HBOMax. I am not worried about not getting Max content on my Roku devices as a) the Max content is meh for this “ok Boomer” who enjoys tv in my home theatre but has limited time for that, b) the Chromecast streaming works well enough if I absolutely must see something Max offers beyond standard (excellent) HBO content, and c) the corporate battles (big swinging d**ks) will be resolved, eventually. Or not. I don’t really care.  Happy camper here. Thank you for the kudos!

Level 8

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

Jump to solution

You have to buy a new account. I already have one and won't let me sign in on hulu it will only let me purchase a new one and i am pretty sure you don't get all the hbo max content. 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

YOU TUBE TV HAS HBOMAX

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

I just broke down and connected my computer to my TV to try HBO Max. Not one title would play. Every single time I tried to watch something it said "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Try again later."

Why are people upset Roku doesn't have this channel? I have it and I don't have it.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

You can add Peacock using the same procedure - on a FireStick. Buying a FireStick is a $25 solution, but it means one more remote and only works if you have an availble HDMI. FireStick also solves the problem of being logged out of Amazon Prime and having to sign in again. (See Amazon log-in thread here on Roku Community.) I have 4 Roku devices in operation, and have to sign in once a week on the Ultra - none of the others have this problem. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

I was replying to the post that suggests 'side-loading' Max to a FireStick. Google it. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately the new Seth Rogan movie, An American Pickle is not on the HBO app- it’s only on HBOmax.  Any idea if and when this will be resolved between roku and HBO.?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi, I have been interested to try the same thing. I have had HBO now which is now just HBO on Roku for several years. On the ap on my iPad its already HBO Max. However on the screen its not. I tried the HULU idea with a free trial and I got more content on their HBO MAX plus live HBO like being able to watch Bill Maher on Fri when it airs. The PROBLEM is not all content is there. I‘ve ckd and Ckd. I’m looking for a new movie An american Pickle and although HULU has some HBO max availability it doesn’t have all. It’s ridiculous. I found it on my iPad ap but I want to watch on a TV. I think the only way is to mirror. My iPad and tv are old so this doesn’t wk. Will try on a chrome book, but just know not everything is there unless you go on a computer. Frustrating! Wish they could come to an agreement so the HBO just becomes HBOMax as the ap did.

0 Kudos