Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bknabe
Level 12

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Bored wrote:

Had Roku still been abiding by its idea of providing a neutral OTT platform, there should have been no reason why it was not able to successfully integrate both HBO Max and Peacock on to its platform. But it's not - it's putting its profitability at the front, and its neutrality and customer satisfaction in the back.

Really well said, and why Roku is 100% to blame. I got it as a neutral platform, not a content platform. It's violated those principles.

I guess I'm just weird, but I never expected this not to happen. It had to because they were never going to be viable long term as a 'neutral' company. They gave us what we wanted, get only the channels we want, but it turns out that isn't enough. What we all wanted was a paradigm shift, but it turns out the shift we thought we wanted didn't do what we thought it would. 

0 Kudos
Mooj
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hmm. Interesting. I've been using the free trial of HBO max for now and was considering adding it to my current Hulu account. I thought it was all available on Hulu. That not being the case, do I get access to the HBO max app as well?

0 Kudos
Barsongs
Level 7

Jump to solution

That’s a very good solution for me. HBO NOW regular (Non-Max) content on my Roku is fine. I was miffed that subscribing to HBO through Roku meant I couldn’t get HBO (of any kind) on my iPhone or iPad.  So, I cancelled my HBO-through-Roku subscription and will now take the steps @DrewNJ kindly explained. 🤞 Thank you. 

c2lou1
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

Jump to solution

HBO Max is available as an add-on subscription through HULU, Isn't it? It says that I have this on my ROKU device and I am being billed for HBO Max. Misinformation?

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

@fluke

Your argument against reselling under aggregation goes against HBO Max as well.

You can sign up for HBO Max without going through a cable provider. None of that $14.99 goes toward the infrastructure required for HBO Max to deliver the content anymore than payments to Roku Channels does.

But HBO Max still very much does aggregation of content it didn't fund the creation of, take a look at some of the top movies provided by them right now:

(1) The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, owned by Studio Ghibili and aggregated by HBO Max

(2) Citizen Kane, created by Mercury Productions and aggregated by HBO Max

(3) Singin' in the Rain, owned by MGM and aggregated by HBO Max

Aggregation of content from others without owning infrastructure is how the world works today.  For the USA companies that are providing that infrastructure, they are more than fairly compensated when compared to other telecom companies around the world.

Singin' in the Rain's home video rights are owned by Warner Brothers, parent company of HBO and now owned by AT&T, and have been for 30 years. Warners owns the video rights to most pre-1986 MGM movies and old RKO films like Citizen Kane as well. Mercury dissolved in 1946. Warners has done all of the digital restoration of these films. Most of the non-HBO television content on HBO Max, including Friends and Big Bang Theory, were originally produced by Warner Brothers Television.

Aggregating licensed content into a single streaming service that people can choose to buy or not to buy is different than a hardware producer and wannabe content gatekeeper shaking down content creators for access to millions of users and if they don't capitulate the users can't choose to use their service at all unless they buy different hardware. AT&T handles all of HBO's streaming infrastructure, Roku doesn't take on any of that expense. They provide hardware and now content gatekeeping. That's it. 

So now Warner is getting a taste of their own medicine. Karma's a **bleep**.

0 Kudos
vijayrrr
Level 7

Jump to solution

Worked like a charm. Never knew this would work. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

on Roku theres plenty of content once you figure it out.

More than enough.

Peacock and HBO MAX might be nicer but so what? Who cares? Big deal? get Real?

For Gods sake if you cant find something and are savvy with a Roku you need help

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Caseycam
Level 7

Jump to solution

I added HBO Max to my Hulu plan. There is still an issue though. Hulu doesn’t have ALL the content, so a few things I’ve wanted to watch I haven’t been able to. Bummer. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

like what????

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
TheGreatDuggo
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was able to get HBO up and running on my Roku with this, so thanks! I would just clarify that it is *mandatory* to add a password to your HBO account for this to work - it won't work without one.

Someone else said that you could cast from your phone to your Roku but there is no "Cast" option on HBO Max on your phone.

0 Kudos