Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

@AppleTV wrote:

There is a difference, because if you buy HBO through your cable company you get multiple HBO tv stations plus all of their streaming products. If you buy it through Hulu you just get max. TV doesnt use any internet bandwidth, so watching on the DVR (or live) does have some advantages if you don't have beaucoup bandwidth.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure you understand the benefits of streaming.  I don't need multiple HBO apps like you might need multiple HBO channels.  I can get all HBO content using the HBO Now app.  Don't misunderstand me; I'm not saying all HBOMax content.  Looking at the current HBO listings on tvguide.com, HBO is playing Perry Mason.  I can watch that on the HBO Now app right now too.  HBO2 is playing Unfriended right now, Stuber afterwards.  I can watch both of those movies on the HBO Now app right now.  HBO Signature is playing Joker now, Magnolia afterwards.  I can watch both of those right now on the HBO Now app.  So I guess there is a difference:  I don't have to wait for each individual HBO cable channel to air the show live to populate my DVR.  I can watch anything whenever I want.  Except HBOMax content.  Smiley Happy

Hopefully I don't come across as snarky, but I don't see the benefit of cable or satellite anymore.  Trust me, I used to be just like you.  Granted, that's an assumption on my part.  But I'd take these surveys that would ask me about streaming, and my response would be, "Why?  I have cable.  I don't need to stream."  But my bill just kept going up, and when it topped $200, I decided to buy one Roku for one TV and try it out and see if I could still watch everything I normally would.  Guess what?  I could.  For a savings of at least 65%.  So now Roku is everywhere in my house.  I'll be honest, I don't know how cable or satellite is anymore.  But I know back in the day, the cheaper plans didn't have all the channels I wanted, and to be able to watch the one channel I wanted, I had to upgrade to another level to watch the one channel I wanted, while also getting a bunch of channels I didn't care about.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

if you want to pay extra sure.. but those of us with cable who get it free.. we are short changed.. it sucks

Highlighted
Level 9

Amazon Fire Stick and TIVO DO NOT RUN HBO Max or Peacock they are doing the same thing.... I'm done... I don't need "Me as a customer" to be a "Pawn" in their game.

Highlighted
Level 11

@SirOssis wrote:

Amazon Fire Stick and TIVO DO NOT RUN HBO Max or Peacock they are doing the same thing.... I'm done... I don't need "Me as a customer" to be a "Pawn" in their game.

This is incorrect. Both apps can be installed directly from the Google Play store on TiVo Stream 4k. And while not on the official Amazon app store, both can be easily installed on Fire TV by sideloading them. I have both devices with both apps installed on them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@SirOssis wrote:

"This is incorrect. Both apps can be installed directly from the Google Play store on TiVo Stream 4k. And while not on the official Amazon app store, both can be easily installed on Fire TV by sideloading them. I have both devices with both apps installed on them."

They might be referencing the TiVo dvr and they would be correct, no new apps there (and don't expect any new apps at this point).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

You're the one who doesnt understand. I have everything you do plus more. Streaming is a subset of TV + streaming, so there's no case to be made that streaming only is better. The benefits bandwidth usage are probably beyond the scope of this sort of forum.

My point is that if you already have TV, buying the HBO TV package is better than buying the streaming package, because it's a superset of the streaming package. You don't have that option.

Highlighted
Level 9

Have you been drinking.... I know you are drinking the cool-aid....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I gave up and just purchased an NVidia TV (Google TV) $149 (Link below) I'm done being Roku's pawn and losing out...

I will let you all know how it goes. Never again Roku.... never again...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/

0 Kudos
Highlighted

"I gave up and just purchased an NVidia TV (Google TV) $149 (Link below) I'm done being Roku's pawn and losing out...

I will let you all know how it goes. Never again Roku.... never again..."

Enjoy, I hear good things about the device.  But once again the fact that it's 3 times the cost of a Roku 4K stick probably explains why they don't aren't asking for HBO to share the revenue. 

It's best for HBO and Roku to reach some kind on compromise or both will suffer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

If that is the case Roku should come out with a Roku 4K-Pro version for $99 and let you download any App and stream whatever you want. The 4K Non-Pro edition can then be only to stream Apps / Services that will give Roku a cut of the subscription to allow Roku customers to watch.

0 Kudos