Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

I haven't had cable or satellite at all for 5 years now.  I strictly stream everything I need on Roku through individual app providers.  Now it's my turn to be confused.  I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.  Are you saying HBOMax is free for you currently as part of your cable package?  Or are you saying you pay $15 for HBOMax as an add-on to your cable package?

If it's the first instance, and you're getting it for free, I understand your point.  But, if it's the second instance, what's the difference?  We're both paying (theoretically, as I'm actually paying less at the moment) $15 for HBOMax content.  I just don't have to pay for channels I don't watch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Are you saying HBOMax is free for you currently as part of your cable package?"

Yes, I pay Verizon to get HBO. As part of that service, I had HBO Go, and now have HBO Max, for no additional charge. I can still get HBO Go through Roku, but that app is being discontinued on the 31st. After that, the only HBO app will be HBO Max, which Roku doesn't carry. Now I can still stream it through my XBox, but I paid good money for my TCL/Roku TV, and I see no reason to use an additional, clunky device to view my content.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

If you have HBO on your cable package, you get HBOMax streaming product for free. So for $15 you can add it to your cable package; so I don't see why anyone would buy it on their Hulu package. You get more options and value adding it to your TV package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have both Roku (living room) and AppleTV (office) so I'd have to move the AppleTV if I wanted to watch something on the big TV. 

Is HBOMax on the computer? I guess you could AirPort it from a MAC as well.

They pretty much have to do a deal with Roku. HBO can't risk losing customers and Roku can't risk people moving to another platform. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's not universally true that HBO (Max) is free with cable service. It's provider dependent. Beyond that, this is a Roku forum. Why would you be here making a cable argument?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@mstork5 wrote:

"Are you saying HBOMax is free for you currently as part of your cable package?"

Yes, I pay Verizon to get HBO. As part of that service, I had HBO Go, and now have HBO Max, for no additional charge. I can still get HBO Go through Roku, but that app is being discontinued on the 31st. After that, the only HBO app will be HBO Max, which Roku doesn't carry. Now I can still stream it through my XBox, but I paid good money for my TCL/Roku TV, and I see no reason to use an additional, clunky device to view my content.

I've never used HBO Go to access HBO content on my Roku.  I use HBO Now on my Roku; that isn't going away yet.  I use HBOMax on my phone, but I haven't been impressed with it.  Very clunky to use, in my opinion...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@AppleTV wrote:

If you have HBO on your cable package, you get HBOMax streaming product for free. So for $15 you can add it to your cable package; so I don't see why anyone would buy it on their Hulu package. You get more options and value adding it to your TV package.

So, I think the people that would buy it as an add-on for their Hulu package are people who are like me, and don't have cable.  There's really no difference between the two situations.  You pay $15 to your cable company to get HBO, they pay Hulu $15 to get HBO.  Both of you have the ability to use HBOMax...just not on Roku.

Highlighted
Level 8

"Very clunky to use, in my opinion..."

I could see that on a phone, but it runs pretty well on an XBox.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

There is a difference, because if you buy HBO through your cable company you get multiple HBO tv stations plus all of their streaming products. If you buy it through Hulu you just get max. TV doesnt use any internet bandwidth, so watching on the DVR (or live) does have some advantages if you don't have beaucoup bandwidth.

Highlighted
Level 9

HBO Go and HBO Max are just about exactly the same on Apple TV. I dislike both interfaces; mainly because the fingerpad on apple TV is clunky. Great for fast forwarding but not so good  for some other things. 

0 Kudos