Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

"Good for you, do you want a cookie?

I paid for my Roku. I pay for HBO. I should be able to watch any **bleep** thing I like on the device I paid for."

As much as people don't want to hear it Roku needs to turn a profit at some point and Amazon's pricing of the Fire stick made that impossible by selling Roku devices only.     

If you're unhappy with this you can go buy an Apple TV for $179+  

Highlighted
Level 11

@shadowplay0918 wrote:

I paid for my Roku. I pay for HBO. I should be able to watch any **bleep** thing I like on the device I paid for."

As much as people don't want to hear it Roku needs to turn a profit at some point and Amazon's pricing of the Fire stick made that impossible by selling Roku devices only.     

Or, you can buy a (currently) $50 TiVo Stream 4k or $30-40 Fire TV Stick 4k. Both are Android-based and will run the HBO Max and Peacock app just fine, though you have to sideload them on the Fire--which is easy. Plenty of device manufactures are making a profit off of these devices that use inexpensive hardware. If Roku is having profit issues, it is likely due to the time and resources they are spending to try to be a content provider/distributor with the Roku Channel. Hardly anyone wants that content, and it will never compete with the major content providers. It is a waste, but they are certainly going to continue to try to fund it by trying to siphon from real content providers. Roku has lost its way.

Highlighted
Level 10

Roku's net losses and debt are increasing even though their revenue and earnings went up significantly in the past year. Roku told their investors in March that they have made growth over profit their current business model. In other words, they're choosing to lose money on the hopes that they can win big in these negotiations and become the biggest streaming "cable company". They plan to do this by spending their money building up The Roku Channel and forcing all the new apps to be sold and viewed through it so Roku can get it's hands on most of the ad revenue and user data. It's a big gamble and they risk losing everything if they push their customers and content providers too far and don't get the deals they're insisting on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

My HBO is free through my cell phone provider. Do you know of a way that I can stream it on roku that way? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"If you're unhappy with this you can go buy an Apple TV for $179+"

Or, I can expect the company who sold me my hardware to STFU and let me run the apps I want on it. What a crazy idea!

It's not my job to subsidize their costs. And the longer I go using my XBox to run HBOMax, the more I realize how little I need Roku. So, they should tread carefully.

Highlighted
Level 9

I'm much more likely to drop HBO than Roku. Imagine if HBO loses customers launching a new product. It's not like Perry Mason is a must watch show.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@TinaMarie wrote:

I canceled hbo max through Hulu because I did NOT get ALL of the content that’s in the hbo max app on my phone that’s ridiculous if I’m going to pay an extra 15$ for Hulu w/hbo max I want all of the content!

Actually, what you said is, "I want none of the content!"  If you cancelled HBOMax through Hulu, how are you going to continue to get the content in the HBOMax app on your phone?  If you're now going to pay HBO the $15 for HBOMax, it still doesn't solve your problem, and you're still out the $15.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@AppleTV wrote:

I'm much more likely to drop HBO than Roku. Imagine if HBO loses customers launching a new product. It's not like Perry Mason is a must watch show.

I'm with you, although I actually like Perry Mason quite a bit.  But I don't need HBOMax on Roku to watch it, and if HBO hasn't gotten their stuff together by the time it ends, I won't be paying for HBOMax.  The only reason I haven't left yet is HBO offered me a lower monthly rate for a year.  If I was paying $15 for the warm pile of vomit that is the HBOMax interface, I'd be gone already.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@j_m_ wrote:

@shadowplay0918 wrote:

Or, you can buy a (currently) $50 TiVo Stream 4k or $30-40 Fire TV Stick 4k. Both are Android-based and will run the HBO Max and Peacock app just fine, though you have to sideload them on the Fire--which is easy. Plenty of device manufactures are making a profit off of these devices that use inexpensive hardware. If Roku is having profit issues, it is likely due to the time and resources they are spending to try to be a content provider/distributor with the Roku Channel. Hardly anyone wants that content, and it will never compete with the major content providers. It is a waste, but they are certainly going to continue to try to fund it by trying to siphon from real content providers. Roku has lost its way.

*sarcastic font on*  Do you have something non-4K to recommend that's a little cheaper?  You don't need a 4K device to use HBOMax, as none of the content in the app utilizes 4K.  But HBO did a bang up job in rolling out their warm pile of vomit.  *sarcastic font off*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I'm confused. So you people don't have regular cable AT ALL? I'm not sure I would pay $15 for HBOMAX if it wasn't part of my cable package.