Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_I
Level 12

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

@SK23 wrote:

I was originally replying to several people that you cannot get HBO Max anywhere on a Roku device. I was explaining other ways you can get HBO Max. People never read what I wrote and get replying back to me about that HBO Max is not on Roku, and that Hulu only has the regular HBO content, not the HBO Max content, as Roku does not carry HBO Max. I already knew that. They were only going by the Re:: subject line, not what I wrote. Only going by the subject line people thought I had no idea that HBO Max is not on Roku device, thinking that I thought  you could access HBO Max on Roku devices.  I know exactly what Roku content they offer on their devices. I was explaining this to a few people who did not know this. I was helping these few people I replied  back to.  

Then please, send a private message to those people. Don't  make it a public discussion!

0 Kudos
SK23
Level 8

Jump to solution

I thought other people could benefit from the information I wrote. That why my message was not private. My information I posted was intended to also help anyone who read exactly what I was writing. 

Captain-Kirk
Level 8

Jump to solution

OK I guess only one person read my post earlier.  You can get HBO Max on Roku with Playon Desktop. Right now they have a sale going on and its $34.99 at playon.tv . Once you have Playon Sign in to your hbo max account online and make sure you set a password. Please remember that password because that is what you will enter into Playon settings because playon won't give you the option to login with your cable provider. One downside item is that it will only be in 720p but it does allow you to record anything. So it's up to you, I myself think the 720p  is fine for recording, I have the complete Game of Thrones recorded and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Lmaris
Level 8

Jump to solution

On Hulu you can only access the HBO content, not all the other features of HBO Max, just like you can on ANY of the streaming content providers (AT&T NOW, Sling, YouTube, etc) this is not unique to Hulu no matter how much its fans wish it was.

Sadly, AT&T has decided to shut out the vast majority of those who want to watch HBO on something larger than a tablet by shutting out both Roku & Amazon Fire from hosting the HBO MAX app.

Currently, to get anything other than the basic HBO content, one has to Chromecast from a phone/tablet/laptop, invest in an over-priced Apple TV, use a Playstation, or buy specific models of Samsung TVs.

0 Kudos
SK23
Level 8

Jump to solution

Soon HBO Max will be added to all Xfinity X1 boxes, and Xfinity Internet customers who have the free Xfinity flex steaming media box. You have to be Xfinity customer who subscribe to HBO or get HBO through a package channel deal. If you only have Xfinity for your internet services, and do not have cable through Xfinity you can get the free Xfinity flex streaming box and hook it up to your tv, and then subscribe to HBO  Then you can open HBO Max, choose Xfinity as your cable provider, the n log in with your Xfinity username, and password. HBO Max is coming to the Xfinity X1 platform in the coming months. In the meantime you can download the HBO Max app on to your iPhone, iPad, Android smart phone, and android tablets. Then choose your cable provider Xfinity, and log in with your Xfinity credentials. You can use your Xfinity credentials on any Samsung smart tv that has the Samsung App Store. If HBO Max is not available, check your tv setting to see if you have recently ran an update. If no recent update was ran, then run an update, and once the update is completed, check the Samsung app store, and you should then see HBO Max app. 

0 Kudos
Mrjay808
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is this a device I plug into my Roku TV or how does it work?

0 Kudos
TimBovee
Level 7

Jump to solution

No. I'm retired and don't work for anyone. Why would you ask such a question? Who do you work for, if I might ask.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Captain-Kirk wrote:

OK I guess only one person read my post earlier.  You can get HBO Max on Roku with Playon Desktop. Right now they have a sale going on and its $34.99 at playon.tv . Once you have Playon Sign in to your hbo max account online and make sure you set a password. Please remember that password because that is what you will enter into Playon settings because playon won't give you the option to login with your cable provider. One downside item is that it will only be in 720p but it does allow you to record anything. So it's up to you, I myself think the 720p  is fine for recording, I have the complete Game of Thrones recorded and it works fine.

However, as a standalone app, you can't get HBO Max on Roku.  And you have to pay for the Playon  app. 

0 Kudos
Breaktj
Level 7

Jump to solution

How do you have all that for $33 ?

0 Kudos
loufuddrucker3
Level 9

Jump to solution

Use Aptoide on firestick to load hbomax which shows up as hbonow icon on the firestick

0 Kudos