Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Workaround for HBO Max

It was suggested that I repost this workaround with more clear steps.

1) Access Hbo Max from another device like tablet or computer.  

2) Create a new account if you don’t already have one.  Authenticate with your cable or other provider.  Add your email address and set a password for HBO Max.  

3) By default no password is set when you create an account.  Access your profile, goto settings, then account settings.  It’s on this page under account settings that you will see your email address and be able to set a password.

4) Download the Hbo app (formerly called Hbo Now) to your Roku.  

5) You can now use your email address and that new password to access Hbo Now (which has been rebranded simply as Hbo) on Roku.  

It won’t have the Max content, but you will still have all the Hbo only content just like the old Hbo Go app on Roku had.  Only problem I have found is the lists you create for yourself on Max do not come across to the Hbo app.

548 Replies
Highlighted

Getting HBO Max ap to work

I have a Roku Express 3700x. I subscribe to Hulu(not the live TV) and added HBO Max yesterday. I cannot get access to the shows I want on HBO MAX.  I know they ae offered but I can't get them. Is my device too old. 

Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Getting HBO Max ap to work

The HBO Max channel is not yet available on Roku devices. From what I've heard, accessing it through third parties like Hulu doesn't offer access to everything available from Max. Hopefully Roku and HBO will come to an agreement soon on releasing Max on Roku devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

It gets even better:
HBO just updated all of their HBO NOW apps today to automatically make them all HBO MAX..  

"Your provider does not support this content."

I watch HBO on iOS more than I use it on Roku, so I just cancelled my subscription through Roku.  When it expires, I'll just sign up directly through HBO instead.  Roku's loss. 

I'd advise you to do the same.  It's not fair to pay $14.99 a month for CONSIDERABLY less content than everyone else is getting for the same amount.  

Highlighted
Level 21

@lostsignal825 wrote:

It gets even better:
HBO just updated all of their HBO NOW apps today to automatically make them all HBO MAX..  

"Your provider does not support this content."

I watch HBO on iOS more than I use it on Roku, so I just cancelled my subscription through Roku.  When it expires, I'll just sign up directly through HBO instead.  Roku's loss. 

I'd advise you to do the same.  It's not fair to pay $14.99 a month for CONSIDERABLY less content than everyone else is getting for the same amount.  

I personally have no interest in the channel. But if HBO made an end run around Roku with an update to HBONow, that's great news for many users. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

if you have HULU add it to your plan and you dont have to dump your Roku, you can access HBO max for the same price through the website or HULU. Just saying look for a work around before you throw something away just because you can't find or fix the problem immediately! I i have the disney+ Hulu ESPN + no add subscription and HBO Max on my Roku all because I have HULU I was able to watch all of the above and not have to buy a new device! I pay $33.00 all together for all 4 streaming services 

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Hulu with HBO Max

Add HBO Max to get access to all of HBO including hits like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Last Week Tonight and movies like the Joker and Crazy Rich Asians. In addition, you’ll have access to classic TV favorites like Friends and The Big Bang Theory, plus new Max Originals like Love Life. HBO content available via Hulu. Additional content only available via HBO Max app.

Highlighted
Level 8

Also, if you have HBO Max via some other means (like being an AT&T Fiber customer) you cannot access HBO through Hulu, Youtube TV, or Prime. 

Highlighted
Level 8

I would suggest that people be patient and wait for Warner and Roku to work things out. I read that they are close to a deal. Why limit your connection to Hulu or subscribe to it just to get Max? My humble opinion. Of course I am not an impatient young person who needs everything right now--though I remember those days! Also, if you have Amazon Fire TV you can get HBO Max using the Android app. Check out TechHive for details. I did it and have Max on Fire TV. It's all legal, and involves changing Fire settings to permit "unknown" apps (i.e. "Android" apps), then using the Downloader app to DL the Android HBO Max app.  Here's the URL: https://tinyurl.com/y7nrzmo7. This is real. If you don't trust my link, just google "how to get hbo max on amazon fire tv right now."

Jeff
Highlighted
Level 7

I subscribe to Youtube TV and of course I use a Roku to access it. HBO Max is available as a premium subscription which gives you access to the Library that is set for HBO Max which includes plenty of Warner Media that is not available to HBO Now subscribers. The one big downside is that you will access via the Youtube TV interface which is very good but probably not as good or the same as the actual app for HBO Max.