Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Wonder Woman 1984 full movie, jittery playback issue

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, I've had my TCL Roku TV for about a year and this is the only title where I've encountered this jitter issue. In general I have no problem watching 4k content on Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max, including the extras for WW84. The HBO Max app for Roku has only been available for about a month, so clearly they still have some bugs to fix.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Just want to keep the post alive at this point I guess. The same issue with my new 535. There is only one app update and no system update since the HBO Max was online, and the issue is still there. Have asked about this on Twitter but no DM from HBO or Roku yet...

Jump to solution

At this point, I encourage everyone who has not yet done so, to contact HBOmax and let them know of this ongoing issue.  I'm not losing any sleep over WW84 since it's a very poor movie.  I am concerned this issue is still NOT resolved and will affect future planned releases if not fixed.  

Level 8

Jump to solution

I've been working with HBO Max tech support on this for a few days now.  I started it with a chat as that seemed to be the ONLY way they would respond back.

Through that a ticket was opened and now they have emailed me a couple times asking for mostly the same information as provided in the chat and another couple things.

They have admitted this is THEIR problem and not my device and that due to the new technology they are using to stream Wonder Woman 84 to "look its best" there are some issues that will require several updates to resolve but they are working on it.  They said they will reach out to me again if they need anything else, or as soon as the issue is resolved.

Here's to hoping!

Level 9

Jump to solution

@djf73  Thanks a ton for relaying that info!  Please keep us posted if you gather more info from them.  Cheers.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Except HBO Max app is NOT the problem.  I can play it fine on my iPhone XS in the HBO Max app.  The jittery playback is clearly ROKU's problem on TCL — I have two TCL Series 6 Roku TVs, and the issue is exactly the same on both.  I cannot play it on either one of them without the jittery issues.  The movie plays perfectly through the HBO Max app on my Apple TV, an old Roku box, my iPhone, etc.

Again, the issue is specifically with the TCL Roku TVs!!!  PLEASE fix this!!  I bought two of these amazing TVs for their pic, clarity, etc., and I cannot watch just the WW1984 movie through the HBO Max app on these particular TVs without horrible playback issues.  I can watch any other movie or series on these TCL Roku TVs through the HBO Max app with no playback issues.  It is just the WW1984 movie and just on the TCL Roku TVs.  Smiley Sad

Level 8

Jump to solution

I am not writing the information I am about to give you being rude, it is simple matter of fact.

A) HBO has admitted to myself, and others that it is a problem with their app on Roku devices.

B) Just like you cannot run an app made for a Mac on a PC or PC on Mac, every single operating system has a different HBO Max app which is why it is working on Android, Amazon, Internet browsers, and other devices.

C) Developers make and update their apps on Roku just like they do on Android, Apple TV, Amazon, etc., using programming language exclusive to the platform it is on.  It is not the same app on all devices.

D) It doesn't play on my Roku 4K streaming stick either, not just my 4K TV. (I will say it plays better on the streaming stick 4k HDR, but it is still much more jittery than all other programs on it).

Again like I said, I am working very closely with technicians and assisting them in any ways that I can.  The more people that contact them through chat so it can get escalated, the sooner they can fix the issue.  HBO is aware of the issue and is implementing updates and testing.

According to 2 of HBO's reps, they used a new technology for streaming Wonder Woman 84 to look as close to the theater as it can.  They had their apps on other devices longer so they had time to test and work out the kinks before the rollout.  Because AT&T held off for months before finally agreeing to being on the Roku platform, they DID NOT HAVE TIME TO TEST the new technology on Roku, and that is the reason for the glitch.

Please stop blaming the hardware when like you said, everything else works perfectly on it.  The issue is 1 program through 1 app.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking the time to work with HBO Max support, and to explain to those who want to blame the TV hardware. 

Level 7

Jump to solution

I also have the 8 series...hbo max and movies anywhere have the same stuttering  issue when watching  Dolby  Vision  content. Vudu and Disney+ have no issues....Roku,TCL or the apps...somebody please fix this!

BOTH HBO AND MOVIES ANYWHERE  know about the issue...but still no fix as of 1/13/21.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

3 weeks, and still no fix? I really wanted to watch this movie. :-(

0 Kudos