Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Wonder Woman 1984 full movie, jittery playback issue

Jump to solution

@Snoogins34  thanks for that info and twitter screenshot.  Good to know they're aware.  I tweeted their twitter support and got similar reply couple days ago.

Jump to solution

We contacted Roku who said that this is an HBO issue.  HBO is working on a patch but no timeline when fix will be available.

Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a 4k TCL tv and have the same issues. Very jumpy. Weird thing is we have two more TCL TVs upstairs and it works fine. They come in HDR though and main TV shows up Dolby.  Hooked up an old Roku box and it played fine. Kind of defeats the purpose of an actual Roku TV don't ya think.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi brought in my fire stick from the other Room after reading some of the posts. Sure enough, it streams just fine. Its 5 days after the Christmas premiere. I don't think its an overload problem. 

Level 9

Jump to solution

@sn8keeyes19  Several posters on this board and Reddit  point to the problem as being specific to the HBO Max app and its inability to render without choppiness and dropped frames in Dolby Vision on late model Roku TVs, as the movie plays fine on other Roku devices and TVs that render in HDR instead of Dolby.  It's as if Max is trying to force the Dolby playback.  Wish there was an option to bypass Dolby and select HDR instead.  Dolby Vision is superior to HDR but its software is apparently not fine tuned for all devices.  Other posters have pointed out that the issue involves meta-data, not code, fwiw.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for all who have posted/replied. I guess I will just have to wait for a fix from HBO

Jump to solution

There is a post indicating this issue is with late-model Roku TVs.  This is incorrect.  Many posts, including mine, reflect this issue is also with New Roku TVS. Mine is having the same issues with the WW84 movie video play back being choppy and I have a TCL Roku TV that is only a few months old. 

The workaround I've found is to play the movie via the HBOmax app on my android phone and Chromecast it on my TCL Roku TV.  It plays perfectly.  

I'm not losing any sleep over the WW84 movie since it's terrible, but I am concerned if this issue will continue to happen with future new release movies via HBOmax like Dune, Godzilla vs. King Kong, and Matrix 4

Level 9

Jump to solution

Here's an eye opening quote from The Streamable website a few days ago: https://thestreamable.com/news/hbo-max-adds-4k-support-to-roku-app-just-in-time-for-wonder-woman-198...

"Last week, HBO Max and Roku reached a deal to bring the streaming service to Roku streaming players just ahead of the debut of “Wonder Woman 1984”. Initially, HBO Max said that Roku wouldn’t be one of the device to support 4K HDR though.

But, with just hours to spare, HBO Max has rolled an update that will bring 4K HDR support to Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Streaming Stick+, and Roku 4K TVs. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos will only work on the latest Roku Ultra device."

Note the last sentence in quotes above...it clearly indicates that Roku TVs will not render Dolby Vision, with Dolby only working with the latest Roku Ultra, and so now we see all these dropped frames on late model Roku TVs trying to play in Dolby Vision.  Every time I try to play WW84 that Dolby Vision icon pops up for a few seconds in top right of my screen on my Roku 4k TV. 

Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried playing through the HBO max app on my iPhone and used airplay to the TV as well. Surprisingly, the movie now plays in Dolby vision on the TV with no lag issues.

Level 7

WW84 jittering on HBO MAX

Jump to solution

Tried to play WW84 on my Roku tv to see if they fixed the jittering problem and voilà it’s still there, bummer!

0 Kudos