Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Wonder Woman 1984 full movie, jittery playback issue

Jump to solution

Same problem here. TCL 65R625 wired connection. All other 4k content playing fine. Seems a HBO max problem to me.

Tags (2)
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes same problem on my TCL 65R625. RokuTV HBO max app doesn't seem to handle 4k content.

Pros - Dolby vision, and image comes up in near 4k sharp image quality. Audio was good 5.1 digital.

Cons - too jittery, low frame rate mess, & not very enjoyable to watch most times.

Ever since TimeWarner/HBO max forced DC universe to shut down and be removed, I was worried the new HBO max app wouldn't be as good as DC universe for 4k content. And I was right, at least for our TCL-RokuTV app version. But Good to hear that Roku ultra devices work fine, but those only had the movie in HDR and not Dolby Vision like the RokuTV version of HBO-max. 

Hopefully TCL/ RokuTV HBO max app version gets fixed ....moving forward...

Level 8

Jump to solution

Same problem on TCL 8 Series. HBO Max support won't acknowledge an issue. Been trying this morning for over an hour to get HBO Max support to log a trouble ticket via chat. 

Level 9

Jump to solution

@Tmin2020

"But Good to hear that Roku ultra devices work fine, but those only had the movie in HDR and not Dolby Vision like the RokuTV version of HBO-max."

I think you might be on to something.  Another poster here and on the Reddit forum mentioned their Roku TV as having the Dolby Vision notice top right of  screen at start of movie, and had the choppy playback issue, while when switching over to a separate Roku device like the Ultra or earlier, the screen has the HDR notice top right of screen with no playback issues.  Sounds like the Roku 4k TVs are trying to use the superior Dolby Vision codec and running into problems with it, with the separate devices using the HDR codec with no problems.

Level 8

Jump to solution

HDR10 (the standard being used when you see the simple HDR logo) and Dolby Vision aren't codecs. They are literally simple pieces of metadata which tell the display device the white level and color volume in the content. HDR10 has one set of this metadata for the entire content, while Dolby Vision's metadata changes per scene. The video and audio codecs used for actual presentation of the content can be identical, even if the HDR standard differs. This is likely a problem with how HBO Max is presenting the Dolby Vision metadata. 

Level 8

Jump to solution

61EF300A-5FC7-4BA8-8140-DBE684C7241D.png

Just got this reply, at least they acknowledge and hopefully will fix. 

Level 7

Jump to solution

I ended up playing WW84 on HBO Max on my iPhone and using Airplay to play it on my TCL TV.

Level 9

Jump to solution

@dcaropreso  THANK YOU for screen shot of your chat with Hbo Max support.  I feel optimistic that problem will be fixed via app update relatively soon.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having same issue with 6-series TV using the HBO Max app on TV. Frame rate is all choppy and unwatchable. No issues if I use my iPad and AirPlay to same TV. AirPlay is also supporting 4K and Dolby Vision. TV is wired on CAT7 to 1000T switch and no issues with 4K content from other providers. 

Level 7

Jump to solution

We did the same.  HBOMAX on iPad .. Airplay to TCL Series 6