Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteCharles
Level 9

Wonder Woman 1984 full movie, jittery playback issue

Jump to solution

Merry Christmas everyone.  Wonder Woman 1984 just launched 45 minutes ago and I tried to play it and just as I predicted, a playback problem on my late mode 6-series Roku TV.

The 4k comes in fine, but the playback is very jittery or choppy.  It's like it's playing at  8 frames per second instead of a normal 24 or 60p, kind of stuttery like if that makes sense.  I have no problems playing 4k movies on my other services, i.e. Netflix, Prime, etc.  Anyone else with similar problem?  

I suspect HBO Max may have a bottleneck problem with everyone off today and all trying to play this hyped movie at same time.  Also add to fact that this is HBO Max's first time streaming a 4k title.  Hoping this will improve in near future. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Wonder Woman 1984 full movie, jittery playback issue

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about that channel's content and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO Max support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83\
Geekgurl
Level 7

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue with our TCL Roku 6 series.  Just got the TV a few weeks ago.  If you figure it out, please post. Tia

PeteCharles
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Geekgurl

I got my 6-series exactly a year ago and no problems, best bang for buck TV imo.  And soon as I can play WW84 smoothly I'll post here fwiw, and hope it'll be widespread for you and all Roku/TCL users.

Eggo
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m encountering the same issue. TCL Roku 6 TV, same jittery playback makes the movie unwatchable. Hope Roku can find a way to fix it. 

Geekgurl
Level 7

Jump to solution

We just hooked up our roku ultra and are watching the movie.  It says HDR in the top corner when it began playing.   When we tried to play through just the TV and it was jittery it said Dolby vision in the top corner. Looks great!

craigldavis
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here. All day on our TCL 4K Roku TV on AT&T gigabit fiber hardwired to the router(not WiFi). 

at my in-laws on their old Roku with **bleep** internet it played fine. 

seems like a 4K problem on HBO Max. 

disney+ 4K works great for us. 

PeteCharles
Level 9

Jump to solution

@craigldavis  Talked to a friend just an hour ago and he has a Roku device (not Roku TV) and he said WW84 played fine on it.  So anecdotally from this thread, friend, other news media, it seems the  4k Roku TV is having more issues than the separate Roku devices.  

My Roku TV is also hard wired with ethernet cord to router, no wifi, and 4k content from other services streams fine.  I get a consistent 70+ mbps connection speed which is plenty more than enough for 4k streaming to a single device.  

Lionspride629
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue on new 3 week old tv.  No issues with any other movies on HBO or other streaming services.  WW84 plays well on old Roku TVs and streaming sticks.  On phone with Tech now but they don’t know what issue is either.  Getting tech assistance appears to be an issue with Roku anyway - their tech people use scripts - typical unplug, reset, check updates etc which we did all of that before calling.  UGH

cjolly_40
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have same issue with the TCL 8 Roku tv. Streams fine on all other devices (pc,Ipad). So I plugged an old Roku Streaming stick into an HDMI port on my TCL 8 Roku tv just to see what would happen and it plays fine via the streaming stick. 

dcaropreso
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same issues with 8 series TCL roku tv. My Roku Ultra 4640x streamed perfectly in 4k. Playstation 4 perfect in 1080p

Looks like hbo max app 4k problem specifically for Roku TV. Other hbo max content streams fine. 

Uninstall and reinstall didn’t help.