Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RadioClash
Level 7

Winter Olympics

How are people planning to watch the Winter Olympics on Roku?  
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Winter Olympics

Good question.. haven't thought of it yet!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
BooBooKitty
Level 7

I'm going to get SlingTV Blue package and do the add-on for the Olympic Channel.   Between NBC, NBCSN and the Olympic Channel, I should be in Olympics overload.  I'll probably cancel SlingTV at the end of February.
0 Kudos
RadioClash
Level 7

BooBooKitty, do you know if any of those channels have archived coverage?  Not always easy to watch everything live.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"RadioClash" wrote:
BooBooKitty, do you know if any of those channels have archived coverage?  Not always easy to watch everything live.

Well I am not BooBooKitty and I do not think I would admit it if I were but Sling offers DVR functionality for most, but not all, channels so you probably could record much of what you want to watch. 

The only channels I remember being unable to record was the ESPN channels and those are not part of the Olympic package at all. I think recording will be available for the Olympics but only Sling knows for sure and they are harder to get reliable information out of than the White House.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
carlojomomma
Level 7

I have two Roku devices. One is just connected to my normal home network, the other is plugged into a router that has a VPN configured on it. The VPN on that router makes it look like anything connected on it is in a different country (I won't say which one, but Canada or UK would work) so I can watch the Olympics minus all he NBC commentators and time delays. I admit it took some trial and error to get my network running smoothly. Also - and I don't know if this truly matters - the Roku that looks like it's in a different country was never connected/configured on my normal network: I previously attempted to connect my US-based Roku to my router with the VPN but couldn't make it understand/acknowledge that it was in a different locale... was easier to just buy a second Roku. And I also have two Roku accounts, one for the US and for the other country.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Well that will probably do it. Countdown to thread lock 3...2...1..
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
BooBooKitty
Level 7

Elijah - thanks for the info on the DVR service.  I hadn't really explored Sling TV beyond the fact that they offered the Olympic Channel and NBCSN.  Now I'll REALLY have plenty Olympics to watch.  

And I'll join you in the countdown.   Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"RadioClash" wrote:
How are people planning to watch the Winter Olympics on Roku?  

Both Hulu and the NBC app are planning on offering live and on-demand streaming for it. If you have the NBC Sports app, it will also have a complete section devoted to the Olympics as was the case during the last Olympics in 2016. In all honesty, I've covered four Olympic Boxing tournaments and having access to the entire tournament during the 2016 games via the NBC Sports app made my job much easier because I was able to break my coverage into two pieces summarizing the two weeks of competition with less filler as compared to coverage I did during previous Olympics. As far as the Winter games, I don't cover those Olympics, but I am looking forward to the hockey tournament and the luge among other events taking place. 
0 Kudos
RadioClash
Level 7

Thanks, that NBC Sports app looks like a winner. 
0 Kudos