Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rakosnik
Level 7

Windows Media Center Channel?

Is there a Roku channel so that my Roku can work with my Windows 7 home theater PC running Windows Media Center?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Windows Media Center Channel?

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? If you are referring to the ability of a Windows PC to act as a DLNA server, the Roku Media Player (RMP) channel will play from a DLNA source. But be aware that the Windows DLNA server functionality is severely lacking. It does a limited amount of transcoding, and there's no way to modify in any way what it offers. If it doesn't transcode what you need, then your media is unplayable on a Roku. 

I gave up years ago using Windows itself as my media source. Instead, you should consider Plex, Emby, Serviio, or some other computer based media server. Both Plex and Emby have their own Roku channels, and they both also offer DLNA support for devices that don't have an app for them. Serviio is DLNA only, so you would use RMP as your player. I wrote all the profiles used by Serviio for Roku devices, so (in my humble opinion) it works quite well.

All three server packages I mentioned are free, but offer enhanced features for a price. You may never need any of the enhanced features, so don't let a possible cost dissuade you from trying them. 

As you likely know, to continue using Windows Media Center you are stuck with Windows 7. I used WMC for my TV recording, and was  disappointed that Microsoft pulled support for Windows 10.  However, I finally found an acceptable substitute in J River Media Center. I have now updated my PC to Windows 10, and JRMC does everything I could do with WMC and more. This is not a free product, but it too can provide a DLNA server function, so that might be something that could replace WMC for you. I know you didn't ask about that, but since I've been through the same process I thought I'd throw it out there. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos