Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulcrossuk
Level 7

Will the UK NOWTV app work on US Roku 4640R?

Hello,

I live in the uk and mainly use a roku streaming stick +  (roku 3810), for 4k youtube and mainly the nowtv app. The problem is the wifi signal is not great so rarely get 4k you tube. In the uk they don't sell the roku boxes anymore, only sticks, but in the US they have the Roku Ultra.

If I buy a Roku Ultra from the US (which has a lan port), will I be able to use my UK account to install the NowTV app?

NowTV is my main use.

Thank you,

Paul
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndyCalling
Level 7

Re: Will the UK NOWTV app work on US Roku 4640R?

Hmm, I'm using the Streaming Stick+ in the UK and I've found it to have great wifi reception. Even in hotels. Getting good home wifi is a bit of an art and a longer topic than I can address here fully. Do you know someone that has the knowledge and who could sort out your wifi arrangements? I'm sure I could get you great wifi if I was working on it. If you know your wifi is good and you still get poor reception, try an HDMI extention (as TVs can and do block reception when the stick is tucked around the back, as well as cause overheat situations). If it's still bad, consider that you may have got a duff stick and get a replacement.

The problem with grey imports is that if the model exists in the UK it can download the UK (or EU) firmware on first power up OOB. If not, like the Ultra, it cannot and will have to grab the US firmware I hear. This will work in the UK fine, and will download the channel apps, but they will not be tested with this model and some may fall over claiming they don't work with this model/firmware simply because it's not on their tested list. The BBC app falls over like this (unless it has been changed). I don't know about the Sky app, you takes your chances.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to sort out your wifi. It'll be helpful for more than just your Roku.
0 Kudos
paulcrossuk
Level 7

AndyCalling - Thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion of requesting a usb extention from roku to see if that improves reception but I always prefer a LAN connection for stability over wifi.

I guess my question to the forum should be: "Has anyone installed the NowTV app on an American Roku ultra (or similar) and used in the UK?

If not, I guess my only other option is to just give it a go and buy one from the US and see... Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Paul
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

There doesnt appear to be any signs of the Ultra in the UK, as previous if the model hasnt launched in the UK, then some apps may not be available, BBC iPlayer is one notable missing app.
 If you have the Stick+ then in the box you should have had the power supply, a USB extension, the USB ( with wifi lozenge) lead.
 Adding in a HDMI extension may also help with wifi you can order one free of charge ( one per unit) here https://my.roku.com/hdmi

Its also worth noting that Now TV is 720p only and not 4K or even 1080p and streams at a maximum of 25fps
0 Kudos
paulcrossuk
Level 7

2pints. Thanks.
0 Kudos