Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crowe-t
Level 7

Will Amazon Prime Video purchases play on a Roku?

Will TV shows and Movies purchased on Amazon Prime Video play on a Roku?

Does anyone know what format Amazon Prime Videos are?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
hobbitofny
Level 7

Re: Will Amazon Prime Video purchases play on a Roku?

I watch my Prime Amazon on Roku with no problem. There is an Amazon channel you can add to your channels. Check the list of channel on your Roku menu.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Not only are Amazon prime video purchases available on a Roku, there are actually several different ways to watch purchased videos from numerous sources. I can see almost every purchase I have made on Amazon, Vudu, Movies Anywhere and Google Play. These all have channels available on a Roku. Not all sites will always have the top resolution, meaning some of my 4K purchases only are available as 1080. As to the format they are streamed in, most likely they are H.264 with Dolby Digital audio. Some titles might have a lossy version of Atmos. But it really doesn't matter what format they are streamed in, as it's already compatible with the Roku player. 
Create a Movies Anywhere account, and link your Amazon, Vudu and Google accounts. That makes all your purchases from any of the sites available on all of them. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

When you purchase a movie or TV show from Amazon Prime Video, doesn't the file get downloaded to your computer?  
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

"crowe-t" wrote:
When you purchase a movie or TV show from Amazon Prime Video, doesn't the file get downloaded to your computer?  

All you really purchase is a license to view it. Amazon does allow downloading with some of their players, but not all titles. It depends on who Amazon licenses it from.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are some helpful links to get started with Prime Video on Roku.

Amazon Prime Video channel on Roku: 

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=atv_hp_nd_nav?nodeId=GHR7LTCBR4BUKSWJ
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"crowe-t" wrote:

As Andy mentioned, Amazon will allow downloading a video to some players, such as an iPad, for a limited time period to allow watching offline. Netflix does the same. Roku players contain little memory, and no storage memory, so they are incapable of downloading content. So in general, no you don't download a file. It is streamed to your player in real time, and nothing is stored locally. And if you have a Roku with a USB port, no a USB device cannot be used as external memory. All you can do is play media stored on a USB device. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"crowe-t" wrote:

Roku streams Amazon Videos directly from Amazon whether it's Prime Videos or Purchased Videos via the "Prime Video" app. As for what format Amazon uses, I believe it's typical MPEG4/AVC/H264 for 1080p and below, MPEG4/HEVC/H265 for 4K
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos