Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wally22
Level 7

Why wont my roku open my youtube app anymore?

Why wont my roku open my youtube app anymore ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Borderholic20
Level 7

Re: Why wont my roku open my youtube app anymore?

Same issue on my mother-in-laws tv.   I've removed the app, reset the tv then added the app and still not able to load it.   Any suggestions.......... PLEASE????????

0 Kudos
LM44
Level 7

Mine isn't working either and I've uninstalled and restarted Roku and reinstalled YouTube and it's still not working... Any suggestions on fixing it? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just tried it on my Premiere, and used it last night on my Ultra 4800 without an issue. What model Roku device do you have? Google is famous for making the YouTube channel work poorly on older devices. I had to retire my old 2 XS because of YT performance, while everything else was still acceptable. 

The first trick to try when a channel misbehaves is to remove it, reboot the Roku, and add the channel back. Just don't ever remove a channel that is no longer listed in the channel store, (such as Spectrum and YouTube TV at the moment), or you won't be able to add it back.

To remove a channel, highlight the channel tile on the home screen, press * and select Remove channel. When it finishes, use the System/System restart menu to reboot the Roku. You can also pull the power cord for about 30 seconds. Then once the Roku has booted you can add the channel back again.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@LM44 wrote:

Mine isn't working either and I've uninstalled and restarted Roku and reinstalled YouTube and it's still not working... Any suggestions on fixing it? 

Try:

1) Change your Theme to the Roku Default (Settings/Theme/Restore default theme) - try again

2) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock (Settings/Theme/Screensavers) - try again

3) Check for updates (Settings/System/System updates/Check now) - try again

4) Network connection reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) - try again

5) Factory reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) <--- last resort

StreamerUser

LM44
Level 7

@StreamerUser  ty I changed my screen saver to a beach theme and it worked! 🌅 I had it on the fish aquarium... 💜

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@LM44 wrote:

@StreamerUser  ty I changed my screen saver to a beach theme and it worked! 🌅 I had it on the fish aquarium... 💜

Aquatic Life takes up more memory (all that aquatic goodness) and other system resources, and can be/is the cause of apps not opening and other "system weirdness",  especially with the lower memory models.

Sometimes you can switch it back after switching to something else, and the app misbehavior is gone - just remember that if you run into the problem again, try switching themes/screensavers just like you did.

StreamerUser