Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Peacock Tv

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

@djf73 wrote:

Actually, it is big cable fighting against streaming devices.

AT&T (WarnerBros & DirectTV & UVerse) and Comcast (Universal, NBC, Cox & Comcast Cable) are going after the 2 largest streaming services, Roku & Amazon Fire, to try to get control back of all content to big cable.

Disney+. the largest media company who does not own any cable, had no problem launching on and paying the very small fee for their service on the Roku devices.

This is NOT Roku's fault. This is an attempt to jack up prices again once they are launched and on services to recoup the money they have lost by people cutting their cable cord.  If they want to stay viable, they will cooperate with Roku and have their apps available within 2-3 months.

This has nothing to do with paying an upfront fee. There was no dispute with Disney + because it has no ads so there was no ad revenue to divide. Same with Netflix. Peacock and the ad-supported HBO Max version coming next year will have ads so, the revenue divide needs to be negotiated. Disney+ and Netflix also sell all of their own subscriptions and don't use Roku, Amazon, or anyone else as a go-between. Roku is demanding a cut of ad revenue and subscription fees from selling HBO Max and Peacock themselves in the Roku Channel while having the service's programming there, something Netflix and Disney + will never allow. Disney made it clear that their family friendly programming would never be allowed outside of their app's sandbox and Roku was smart enough to say "okay, we'll just take the upfront fee". Roku is basically Netflix's child company so, Netflix writes it's own terms with them.

But with HBO Max and Peacock, Roku and Amazon are digging in their heels and demanding a cut of ad revenue, subscription fees, and demanding to have the services' programming in their aggregate channels. I read that Roku was willing to lower their ad revenue cut if NBC gave them free programming for the Roku Channel but NBC/Universal is reluctant because some of those shows are supposed to be Peacock premiums. Those are the issues: ad revenue, subscription cuts, and whether the programming will be exclusive to the service's app, like Netflix and Disney+, or not. HBO Max and Peacock obviously want to be seen as premium apps like Netflix, Disney+, and Prime instead of second tier like Showtime and Epix, which are in the Roku Channel. 

Interesting. Thank you.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Zoroth wrote:

@djf73 wrote:

AT&T (WarnerBros & DirectTV & UVerse) and Comcast (Universal, NBC, Cox & Comcast Cable) are going after the 2 largest streaming services, Roku & Amazon Fire, to try to get control back of all content to big cable.

And in one word, it's clear why you're completely wrong about this. Neither Roku nor Amazon Fire are streaming services of any merit. They don't offer content themselves that is in any way competitive with cable or with these streaming channel providers (How many of you have ever even opened the Roku channel? Practically none). 

HBOMax and NBC are going up against Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Roku is a platform that people access content through. There is no question that content is king and that the largest streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu are in control of the streaming world. Your misguided belief that Roku somehow is responsible for those services basically means you've fallen for Roku's marketing—but every single thing you watch on Roku is available on non-Roku devices, and now multiple things you can't watch on Roku are too. 

Roku is not a service. It sells a device that used to be known for accessing basically every service, and now no longer is known for what was its only killer feature.

I am not knowledgeable about how these things work. I am reading these posts with great interest. I, too, believed I was purchasing a streaming device(s) from roku so I could access programs from streaming services. I consider roku the device (like my  phone or computer) and Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and now Peacock, a service. I am not happy my *device* is not allowing a *service* to be aired. I feel as if it is like my television would only allow Comcast, not FIOS or Optimum, to air. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are there plans to get the Peacock channel or HBOmax on Roku (also IMDB streaming service would be nice) I like my Roku but I may have to look in to other streaming devices if you are not going to provide all the services that are available.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Mm5409 wrote:

FYI not on Playstation either. We have 3 streaming services and it's not on any of them. Smh I paid for year of MAX and Peacock. I'm so disappointed.

Peacock is adding a PS4 app in the next week or two.

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Peacock

Jump to solution

@RieS9 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@HDMIGuy wrote:

I have the Peacock app on my phone and computer.  Not sure what the complaints about the app are, it worked fine for me.  I also have a Firestick 4k and several Roku devices.  Of course no app for those at this time.  

I installed the Peacock app on my Shield last night, and it won't even start. I can see why there are so many complaints about it in the Google play store. I haven't been able to even see what's offered yet. And even for free use you still have to have a user account.

The app has worked great on my iPhone 6s. I just don’t want to watch tv on my phone, so I’m extremely annoyed that roku doesn’t have it. Maybe the google version isn’t working as well as the iOS?

The Peacock app for AndroidTV is a bit buggy. I've got it installed on my Sony AndroidTV, and it sometimes won't load the next episode of a series. But, IIRC, Hulu was that way when they first launched on smart TVs and streaming devices too.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RieS9 wrote:

@Zoroth wrote:

@djf73 wrote:

And in one word, it's clear why you're completely wrong about this. Neither Roku nor Amazon Fire are streaming services of any merit. They don't offer content themselves that is in any way competitive with cable or with these streaming channel providers (How many of you have ever even opened the Roku channel? Practically none). 

HBOMax and NBC are going up against Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Roku is a platform that people access content through. There is no question that content is king and that the largest streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu are in control of the streaming world. Your misguided belief that Roku somehow is responsible for those services basically means you've fallen for Roku's marketing—but every single thing you watch on Roku is available on non-Roku devices, and now multiple things you can't watch on Roku are too. 

Roku is not a service. It sells a device that used to be known for accessing basically every service, and now no longer is known for what was its only killer feature.

I am not knowledgeable about how these things work. I am reading these posts with great interest. I, too, believed I was purchasing a streaming device(s) from roku so I could access programs from streaming services. I consider roku the device (like my  phone or computer) and Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and now Peacock, a service. I am not happy my *device* is not allowing a *service* to be aired. I feel as if it is like my television would only allow Comcast, not FIOS or Optimum, to air. 

I agree. Roku was created to make streaming things on your TV easier and more efficient, instead of hooking an ugly, cumbersome, and inefficient PC to your TV to get every streaming service offered. Now, it's like they want to choose the winners and losers of streaming services, not the viewers themselves.

At the end of the day, content is king. Dish Network knows that from the loss of subscribers caused by the numerous disputes they get in.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Disney through Hulu pays ad share... Crackle, PlutoTV, Cozy, Tubi, Xumo, Filmrise, Vudu ad based, ALL pay for ad share on ALL devices.  Like I said in my first reply, this is big cable's attempt to make people not want streaming devices.  The person who said I am falling for Roku's marketing is totally on the side of cable and missing my point.  Peacock is paying Apple TV & XBox for ad sharing because the device it is streamed on has to keep track of the ads so for book keeping purposes deserves to be paid a small share.
Peacock (Comcast) & HBO (AT&T) teamed up together to go after the steaming world because they are the 2 largest cable providers.  They have their own app on their monthly charged cable boxes ($5-$10 per unit per month).  They think by holding out enough people will get upset and go back to cable and pay their outrageous fees.

Roku is a 1 time purchase with TONS of free content from so many providers who are happy to do revenue share from ads for the work it entails to track it all.  They are profitable.  Comcast could have maintained their stake with Hulu (ad based) but hated that Disney was willing to share ad revenue and let Disney buy them out while they worked on Peacock.

Roku is still in my opinion the best streaming device. I LOVE the Roku channel and use it at least 2-3 times a week for shows not on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu or Prime.

Peacock in an answer to my email earlier said they are working to make it available on Roku and that is a main goal they have.  They also apologized that it is currently blocked to screencast from the PC to the TV and that it is an issue they are aware of.  Bottom line.  Cable HATES streaming.  Their apps are a trojan horse being used to upset the masses and while most people are patient and rational, there will always be a few who side with the dark side of the force.

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: I Want NBC's Peacock On Roku

Jump to solution

They're currently negotiating.

The main sticking point seems to be that Roku is demanding that Peacock be available in the Roku Channel with Roku getting access to the data of users and a percentage of subscription fees.

NBC just wants to pay a carriage fee for Roku to carry their app and then they give Roku a percentage of Peacock's ad revenue with NBC keeping all of the subscription fees and user data. 

NBC is having similar issues with Amazon and both Roku and Amazon are having a similar dispute with AT&T over HBO Max. Industry insiders think that these negotiations could take several more weeks or months. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I would not consider this solved. This "solution" is no solution at all.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have too much invested in Roku to leave it behind. But it will no longer have my endorsement when others ask what streaming platform to look for.

I used to endorse Roku because it was content neutral. I seems it isn't anymore. 

Work it out Roku. PeacockTV, of course, says it's all on you.  I imagine both sides need to give to come to an agreement. But they wouldn't cut themselves out of 70% of the streaming market on purpose.